How Do You Know When It's Time To Upgrade???

sj miller guy

Market
Reaction score
Equipment that is. I've got a pretty basic setup on my 55 right now. Nova Extreme T-5 light kit, Seaclone Protein Skimmer, Oceanic wet/dry sump, and a CPR hang on Refugium.

My question is this...after seeing a lot of tanks with Calcium reactors, dosers, etc., I'm wondering when it's time to step up to this level. Is it only when the load of your tank needs constant monitoring and supplementation? Or is it just to simplify your life by not making you have to continually add in additives to the water.

I don't think a CA reactor is really needed unless there are clams or SPS that are using the CA at a quick rate. I do like the fact that I only have to dose Iodine once a week. This is very convienent and my levels stay at a constant. They will pay for themselves in about a year too. ( no chemicals to buy)

I'm sure others will chime in soon, but in my opinion the first thing you should upgrade is the skimmer. Several of my clients have these skimmer and IMO they are notthat good (being nice). As for a calcium reactor, that was one of the best investment I have ever made, helps keep everything in line.
Jerry

I would agree that at some point a better skimmer may be in order. I would suggest moving to an auto-topoff unit first if you don't already have one. Kalkwasser in an auto-topoff setup will handle a large number of tank setups. The next step gets into exactly what you have in your tank and where you want to go with it.

So I guess my next question is what would you all suggest as an affordable skimmer that could handle up to a 110 gallon aquarium?

If you have too much money in your bank or maxed out your 401k contribution and Roth IRA, it's time to get more stuff.

TerminatorII made by D&D marine i think. I used many skimmer and this one works for me the best. BTW it's recirculating fission type, it have alot of street credit.

Affordable is a relative term... new Octopus skimmers are great. A DAS skimmer is a good skimmer as well as a TurboFloter. Used is always a good approach just ask how old the skimmer is first. I just saw Fishy selling an EV180 for $100... make sure nothing is wrong with it as that is almost too good of a price.

A buddy of mine has a Super Skimmer and he swears by it. Any thoughts on those?

By affordable I mean $100- 150

I am not a fan of the super skimmer, but I know lots of people who use them. For that price range on your size tank, used is your best bet or go with an Octopus NW150. It is pushing the skimmer to the limit, but it will work on your unit and much better than a super skimmer IMO.

product_info.php

Back