How do you make a manifold

roundman

Market
Reaction score
I need to make a manifold for my return line to feed other things. I tried but what I did has leaks so what is the best way to do this?

Thanks

Rawn, I'm not sure what you mean and what you did that leaked? Do you have a picture or drawing? I made what I think you are doing by glueing hard pvc with tees that led to threaded ball valves to quick connect fittings for 1/2" OD tubing going to two different reactors. I alos have one 1" tee to feed my UV.

I used 2" pvc for mine, and a 2" by whatever size tee with a nipple out to a union ball valve. ( 2" x 3/4" x 2" for a 3/4" outlet to something)
You should have 2x the diameter of the pipe per glue coupling, so a short nipple between 2" tees would be 4" minimum to get glue contact at both ends and a wee bit of space between fittings. Trick is to swab glue on, stab together, rotate 1/4 turn and hold together for 30 secs- to a minute for glue to bond.
I disremember the exact formula for factoring in flow reduction per 90* bend, but it's substantial. Oversize piping when you are able to compensate for restriction loss.

Thanks, I figured that I should have used the T's but tried drilling and threading the holes, gluing in threaded nipples and then putting on the valves. I guess I need to go to home depot. Need to finish out this dang plumbing. Bud drilled the tank and works great will try to hook up with Bob today.

You might want to draw out your manifold on paper so you can buy exactly what you need. I use a manifold on each of my systems. One has eight ball valves on it. I think it cost me like $45 in PVC/ball valves to buy the parts.

Thanks all. I went and bought the "t's" and built the manifold. I will post pic later but am building a sump room in the basement.

Back