How do you plumb a reef tank?

crew

Market
Reaction score
I'm about ready to set up my 120 and I don't have a ton of experience with plumbing tanks. I've only done it once before, and it was with a single overflow tank in my basement. I had 1 line draining and the other as a return. It was loud at the sump (bubbles, etc).

My new tank is a 120 with dual overflows, and it's in my living room, so quiet is key here. How should I go about plumbing it? I was thinking of running two 'herbie' style systems, one in each overflow.

My tank is set up like this right now:

(o O) (O o)

o = 3/4"
O = 1"

My thoughts were having the two smaller lines be the full siphons with the two larger lines being my emergency drains, with all 4 lines going directly into the sump and not joining together. The issue that I seem to be coming across (in theory) is the drains from the overlow on the right will have to travel a considerably farther distance to get to the sump. Does anyone have experience running a similar set up in a tank with dual overflows? How have you managed to balance the flow so water levels are consistent? I would think you could have gate valves on both siphons and adjust accordingly. If not, do you have any other suggestions on how I could plumb it quietly?

Each overflow will be regulated separately, so no big deal if one has a longer line than the other. Just try to reduce bends as much as possible, use 45s or spaflex pipe to help with this.

Also, try to put the gate valves as close to the sump as possible. This will keep the pipes filled and reduce noise significantly.

Plumbing parts... home depot/lowes?

I'm sure some of the nicer pieces will have to be ordered online, but is the bulk of it locally accessible?

Lowes! Much better selection and quality.. Gate valves may have to be sourced elsewhere.

ghbrewer;1011234 wrote: Also, try to put the gate valves as close to the sump as possible. This will keep the pipes filled and reduce noise significantly.

Good point - thanks.

I hear ball valves really aren't worth even bothering, but that doesn't make much sense to me - the mechanism seems to be nearly identical.

How do I attach all of this to the bulkheads? I'm assuming I don't want to "glue" that section in case I need to disassemble. SS Hose Clamps? My bulkheads aren't threaded and I'm thinking they should be.

I used ball valves on my build, they are just not as precise as gate valves and a little trickier to dial in. I also glued all of my fittings, except for the bulkhead. I used threaded bulkheads. With the use of true union valves and fittings, it makes things modular and easier to repair/modify should you need to. I hate threaded fittings, glued joints where possible are much more reliable. Just be sure to be liberal with the cleaner and solvent. I suggest using the clear cleaner, as the purple stuff is messy looking. Clean and apply solvent to each piece to be joined.

Here is a pic of some of my plumbing on my new build, you can somewhat see the drains coming down from the back of the tank. I did not put the valves down where I should have b/c I wanted to have them in the overflow cabinet on the back of the tank. So, it is a little noisier than I would like, but I have been able to fine tune to an acceptable level.

1011250=58980-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422544263.416998.jpg
>
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422544263.416998.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
1011250=58981-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422544551.039661.jpg
>
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422544551.039661.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

That looks incredible - how much beer/money would it take to just get you over here haha

ghbrewer;1011250 wrote: Here is a pic of some of my plumbing on my new build, you can somewhat see the drains coming down from the back of the tank. I did not put the valves down where I should have b/c I wanted to have them in the overflow cabinet on the back of the tank. So, it is a little noisier than I would like, but I have been able to fine tune to an acceptable level.

>
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422544263.416998.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
>
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422544551.039661.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Grant, that looks spectacular, great work.

Money, no. But beer...

Nah, I could probably swing by sometime and give you a hand.

My main concerns are mostly organization.

I have a trigger tideline sump (it looks like you do as well?) and it has 3 inlets for high flow siphon drains. I'm thinking that I attach my two main siphons to 2 of the drains and then one of the emergency drains could go there as well. The 2nd emergency drain could just dump straight into my return chamber I think. Microbubbles would be no fun, but it's an emergency drain, so that would be just one more way to alert me of a problem.

dball711;1011256 wrote: Grant, that looks spectacular, great work.

Thanks Dave, it turned out really nice. You cannot see it in the pics above, but I ran my saltwater delivery line up from the mixing station in garage that is below the tank. It creates a loop, so it can be used to deliver to the sump, as well as for mixing. I need to add a valve to it b/c it is creating a siphon and not allowing the line to empty into the sump. Also going to add a drain line out of the sump for easier water changes. Still trying to figure out a way to connect my gravel vac to it so that I can use it to clean the sand bed as well.

Crew;1011258 wrote: My main concerns are mostly organization.

I have a trigger tideline sump (it looks like you do as well?) and it has 3 inlets for high flow siphon drains. I'm thinking that I attach my two main siphons to 2 of the drains and then one of the emergency drains could go there as well. The 2nd emergency drain could just dump straight into my return chamber I think. Microbubbles would be no fun, but it's an emergency drain, so that would be just one more way to alert me of a problem.

My sump is actually made by Elite Aquatics, similar, but just a couple more bells and whistles.

PM me for my cell number, then shoot me some pics of the sump placed where you want it under the tank. I can draw you up a schematic of what I would suggest doing, to at least give you something to start from.

Also, what size return pump are you going to be using?

And what tools do you have? A good quality PVC pipe cutter and a pair of channel lock pliers are a must for this type of work.

Here is a picture of what I was thinking.

O9UPbMY.png
alt="" />

I have the cutters and pliers.

The return pump is a reef octopus diablo rated at just under 1000 gph. I know it won't be a ton of flow, but i'm ok with that. I'm planning on cutting back the siphons to match the return, but if you suggest getting a different pump, I suppose I could.

Are you going to run a manifold, or just supply tank?
Only reason that I am asking is that if you are going to solely supply the tank, then it might be a bit much for 3/4" siphons. You may want to consider running the 1" drains as siphons.

See this thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1814606">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1814606</a>
Particularly post #2, the table and associated comments.

You could also consider using 1" pipe above and below the 3/4" bulkhead, it will increase flow a little bit if you have enough head on the drain.

Back