How do you quarantine your livestock (If you do at all)?

How do you quarantine your fish?

• Like a week or two and I quarantine inverts.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Like 3-4 weeks and I quarantine inverts

• Like 5-6 weeks and I don't quarantine inverts

• Other (Please explain)

• Total voters

Mackey

Market
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,
I'm a complete newbie and trying to figure out how the layman quarantines their fish (or doesn't for that matter).
any contribution to the poll would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

That has some good info regarding the current suggested qt procedure by Jay Hemdal, he has written several books and used to be a curator for one of the large public aquariums.

That has some good info regarding the current suggested qt procedure by Jay Hemdal, he has written several books and used to be a curator for one of the large public aquariums.
thx, Ill take a look at that!

Ive never heard of a 76 week (or day) quarantine.

You can catch the majority of potential catastrophies in ~4 weeks between copper and prazi, as well as observe for behavioral issues that could result in livestock death.

At my old LFS, every fish went through these 4+ weeks of qt and medication before moving to the showroom/store and sold to public. Few-None LFS's do this in Atlanta. The majority (maybe 75-95%) of fish direct from wholesalers were infected with one thing or another, depending on type of fish. The vast majority of Tangs had ich. Worm (of various types) infections were also very common. Other ailments were not rare, just less common than ich or worms.

Inverts were not qt'd.... just inspected on arrival and observed/remedied in isolated systems.

Corals are dipped, at least once, with 24-48 hours between dips. For dipping, do full concentration, but dont surprass recommended time limits for your dip. Halfway through, begin to blast the coral and all crevices with water. I use a pipette. This will dislodge weakened pests, as many dips wont kill 100%... but it will weaken them enough to not hold on tightly.

Hey ya'll,
I'm a complete newbie and trying to figure out how the layman quarantines their fish (or doesn't for that matter).
any contribution to the poll would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

I use the method linked here from Jay as well. I also go by this chart I found on r2r somewhere (sorry I didn't keep the legend for the snip)
Think this was put together by Humblefish
Coral and Invert QT Chart.png

One good tip a buddy of mine gave me was to set up a WiFi camera pointed at the tank, he said it’s easier to watch their normal behavior and make sure everything looks good without you standing right in front of the tank. Check for them brushing against rock or off the sand, stuff like that

Totally, the R2R article. Read it. Read it 5 more times. Then read it again. Big issues: Ammonia is what kills your fish in QT. Use a 20g tank, and don't do more than 2 fish at a time. Change 25% water from your DT every 3-4 days. And use a powerhead, not just a HOB. You need oxygen exchange and lively flow. Keep some sponge filter pads in your DT so you can use those in your QT to help bio-filter. Once I got this down, keeping fish in QT is a cinch.

Back