How do you test your water pressure?

reeferjw

Market
Reaction score
I finally broke down and purchased an RO/DI. The instructions listed a minimum water pressure for optimum performance. How does one test this? Is there a device available at Home Depot or something?

HD and Lowes sells a gauge for $10ish in the irrigation section. It screws into a hose bibe or can be converted to a 1/4" line.

Orrrrrrrrr, just put your lips on the faucet and turn it on. If only one of your eyes pop out, it to low. If both eyes pop out, it just right.

Sorry , Every now and then i just have to say something stupid. Then read it and reget i posted it.

You really don't need to worry about it, It seldom is going to be higher to ruin the membrane, and a little bit lower would waste a bit more water... no biggie, if you hook it to straight cold water and not regulate the temp, you will see some variation depending on the water temp in any case...

Some pressures are Way to low. $10-$15 to get your production right is a good idea IMO. We're in a bad drout now so...

My waste water changes alot with lower pressures. I use a lot of water so I run my RO at 80 PSI, at 50 psi my waste water doubles. At 40 psi forget it.

Get a add on pressure gauge kit. You'll want to read the pressure after the last prefilter and before the membrane.

Russ

Make sure the one you buy is stainless steel or is stainless with plastic fittings. I would pick one up from BFS above (
showproducts.asp

GEAUX SAINTS !!!!! lol... sorry, but growing up in New Orleans, once a Saints fan, always and forever a Saints fan. Been there since I can remember... even got my picture taken when I was little with Archie Manning.

I bought a pressure guage at the depot. The pressure in my place is ok, on the low side, but not too low. I started using the system this weekend, and am using the waste water for plants right now.

I have a 55gal turtle tank, and was thinking of using the waste water in there for water changes. Turtles are very messy, so the water needs to be changed quite often. If I used half waste water and half tap, would anyone see issues with it? I mean besides algae, amazingly it is not really a problem with a bare bottom turtle tank.

I just dont want to adversely affect the turtles, cause they do drink the water as well.

Joe

SuAsati;85697 wrote: You really don't need to worry about it, It seldom is going to be higher to ruin the membrane, and a little bit lower would waste a bit more water... no biggie, if you hook it to straight cold water and not regulate the temp, you will see some variation depending on the water temp in any case...

Well, not always. Mine was over 95 PSI (GREAT showers!). I put a household regulator on and tuned it down to 60. Might not burst the membrane, but I don't think the plastic filter holders liked it too well.

I am a bit concerned that the new meters Dekalb is putting in might regulate it down, now that I think about it...

Oh, and I did not know the pressure until I put the RO/DI system on. It came with a gage, which I recommend highly.

-Mike

ReeferJW;96216 wrote: GEAUX SAINTS !!!!! lol... sorry, but growing up in New Orleans, once a Saints fan, always and forever a Saints fan. Been there since I can remember... even got my picture taken when I was little with Archie Manning.

I bought a pressure guage at the depot. The pressure in my place is ok, on the low side, but not too low. I started using the system this weekend, and am using the waste water for plants right now.

I have a 55gal turtle tank, and was thinking of using the waste water in there for water changes. Turtles are very messy, so the water needs to be changed quite often. If I used half waste water and half tap, would anyone see issues with it? I mean besides algae, amazingly it is not really a problem with a bare bottom turtle tank.

I just dont want to adversely affect the turtles, cause they do drink the water as well.

Joe

Joe - the waste water should be just fine to use for your turtles. It is actually better than tap water as it has already gone through the prefilters and carbon to remove chlorine (assuming you are using prefilters).

Melissa

Back