How do you treat your frags

mikesmith34

Market
Reaction score
I see a lot of people combating various infestations. Red bugs, pox, hair algae, bryopsis. When you get your frags home how do you ensure keeping the uglies out. I dip with coral rx and look them over well. I do not have a QT system i know I know the wife just doesn't want another tank. But it makes me nervous to have these things that can get into my DT.:wow2:

That's a tough situation. Dipping is a good practice, but not everything can be dipped (anyone dip acros?) and also the dip won't always kill everything. Zoanthid eating nudibranchs for example will usually come off in a dip but the eggs must be manually removed.

The only solution really, is quarantine. If you don't QT, you are at risk of adding something nasty to the DT. For example, I never thought twice about quarantining a clam. So I got pyramid snails! QT every fish, coral, and invert. That's the only way to be sure. If it simply isn't an option, be very picky and throurougly inspect everything before purchase, but there's no guarantee.

I did acros with coralrx every time with no issues. I've even treated Acro for tissue recession with it. I'm not sure but it seems just like pine sol to me

Peroxide is great for algae on zoas.
Furan2 is the only thing I know that works on Zoa pox/fungus
Although, I wouldn't buy anything that looked to have either of the above.

Quarantine is the only way to ensure no pest eggs don't make it to the DT.

I've never dipped anything.. That being said I had red bugs last year

Back