How fast should my Calcium level change?

typemismatch

Market
Reaction score
Hello!

This is for my 75G - I do about 10% water changes a week (Red Sea) and I'm dosing 20ml of Reef Complete (SeaChem) twice a day and I cannot get my Ca above 330. Using a Red Sea test kit. My API test kit said it was 500 ... along with my other API test kits, I think it's junk.

My ATO also doses via a Kalk Stirrer ... about 1G a day.

Do I just need to dose more or wait longer? Been using the Reef Complete for a week. I have a TON of coraline growth ... maybe it's consuming it all.

Thanks
-c

What is your mag? Try to keep the mag level to 1350-1400 before u try to fix cal level. I do recommend some better test kit

Alk is probably too high and not letting your calcium increase. Check this out.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry</a>

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ok, let's change the Alk value to 11.5 - my new test kit (RedSea) just arrived and I used that instead of API.

Jvb89 - good link thanks, I think I'm ok on the Alk. Maybe I just need to dose more. My new doser also just arrived and I can get that setup.

11.5 is much better. But answering your original thread question... if you dose calcium from say 350 to 375, you should be able to see the change within minutes of dosing

yeah get better test kits and dose more.

For maintaining levels its better to do smaller amounts more often. If you just need to bring it up like you do, I just stay under 100 point increase in calc or mag a day and 2 points for alk.

I hit the tank with a high dose (75ml) of Reef Complete and the Ca did move up to 380 so things are looking up :) thanks.

Not that things were looking down ... just needed something to screw with :D Tank looks great!

1083535=67489-IMG_1511 (1).png
>
1083535=67489-IMG_1511 (1).png
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1511 (1).png[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Looks awesome! Glad the bigger dose showed it was working

I personally don't run my tanks over 8 to 9dkh...11 is even too high IMO. At 8 dkh, the calc should be right around 380 to 400 if I recall. There is a calculator that tells u what mag/calc should be based on target alk

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back