How hard is cracks in the silicone to fix?

If the tank is acrylic I would not suggest repairing with silicone it will not stick to it.

The fact that he said that he had professionals say that he could fix it with silicone, should be a red flag no professional is going to suggest fixing that with silicone. Hell, nobody who's ever worked with silicone at all would suggest putting silicone and acrylic in this fashion.

This tank is now a reptile enclosure

Thats a no for me dawg.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, saved me a whole lot of hassle and possibly 120 gallons of water on my floor. Now I'm thinking about asking him to talk to these professionals myself, lol

Good chance to practice patience, one of the best attributes to have in this hobby. Keep your eyes peeled and watch this forum and you'll find a good deal soon enough. The meantime will give you more time to determine exactly what you want.

Thanks guys, saved me a whole lot of hassle and possibly 120 gallons of water on my floor. Now I'm thinking about asking him to talk to these professionals myself, lol
It's probably best you just walk away. He's either taking advice from someone who is indeed not a professional or not being honest and making that up. Either way it's not going to end well. As Steve said just keep your eyes out a deal will pop up

Agreed no one with any real experience isn’t going to recommend using silicone to repair acrylic. It is fixable however, youd have to use the proper tool for the job which in this case would be an acrylic specific solvent. But its not something i would do in this particular case. With this being your fist foray into acrylic welding and it being a used tank that also happens to be huge. You dont know what shape its in so that one small leak might not be (probably isn’t) the only problem. So one undiagnosed crack or weak seam and you’ll have 120 gallons on the floor.

Back