How high is your Photon 48?

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
My RB Photon 48 has finally shipped. Is there a general consensus on the mounting height?

I think it pretty much depends on your optics and e width of your tank. I have 120 degree optics, so I can keep it about 7" and still cover everything with a 24" x 48" tank. I have a closed canopy so I made sure to leave a few inches on the top for ventilation. I believe if you have a 12" wide or less tank you can drop it down to as low as 6". They are really powerful lights so I only run whites at 25 and blues at 50.

I'm currently running at 7-8" with 120's over my 90. Good coverage at that height . It's still hard for me to believe( however I do) that they can be or are brighter than my 500w MH system. I really like the ramp up/down. It is a much more natural thing. The looks of the corals are great.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
966438=54811-image.jpg
>
966438=54811-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Thanks for the feedback guys. I see what you mentioned in your thread Mike about the control panel being in the middle, I'm going to have the same problem.

I have a closed top canopy too Bcavalli. Is there enough heat output that drilling holes in the top would be necessary? Mine is really tall so holes would not be visible.

MikeSmith I noticed that you used the closet rod method to hang the light, does it require two people to adjust the hanging ropes for the light? I'm leaning towards that because it will allow me to adjust the height rather than the wooden slat method I mentioned in another thread.

rk4435;966474 wrote: Thanks for the feedback guys. I see what you mentioned in your thread Mike about the control panel being in the middle, I'm going to have the same problem.

I have a closed top canopy too Bcavalli. Is there enough heat output that drilling holes in the top would be necessary? Mine is really tall so holes would not be visible.

MikeSmith I noticed that you used the closet rod method to hang the light, does it require two people to adjust the hanging ropes for the light? I'm leaning towards that because it will allow me to adjust the height rather than the wooden slat method I mentioned in another thread.

No you will not need to drill holes. The fans run completely silent. Is ur top completely closed or open in the back like mine. Unlike MH when you put your hand under the light it isn't hot at all! Now do yourself a favor and set your light setting BEFORE mounting it. It just makes it so much easier than trying to work around the center piece. Then when you want to increase intensity you can work around it as it's not as much input. I started with what was posted on their website under 30 min. Increments. I have increased the middle section by 10 for a little more intensity. Next week I'll do 10 more.

I also have a small fan on each side to keep things nice and cool. They are on a timer and come on for 8 hrs a day. Just a thought.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
966492=54812-image.jpg
>
966492=54812-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I used T-Track I bought from a woodworking store. I replaced the top mounting screws of the Photon 48 with the T-Track screws and that allows me to adjust them up or down and slide them forward or back. I left about 3 inches above the light. I already had a 120mm fan installed at the center back of my canopy and I have it synced with the lights timing via Apex. Im considering installing a second 120mm fan, one in and one blowing out for better circulation, but thats probably overkill.

In y'all's opinion how often can you increase intensity. They have been hung for a week now and I thinking of increasing each channel by 10%. What do you guys think??

I have mine up to 50 blues and 25 whites. I upped it every week or two by 5 till I got to this level and Im pretty happy with the results. Im not sure how much higher Ill take mine up.

My Reefbreeders, Nova A4 over my 60 cube has my blues set at 70% and the whites set at 25% during peak lighting hours. My corals are responding excellent to these settings. My 60 is 23 inches deep and my Nova A4 is 8 inches above the tank.

Cool thanks for the responses. I set it up with the suggested settings on their website with the 30 min changes. I've just added 15 to each setting at this point. I actually had the best PE on my dragon last night than I've ever had. On another thread I was complaining because I don't have it. Maybe il start getting some now. Its one of those elusive things I've never been able to obtain.

Mine arrived today. I've been busy getting my screen tops on and puttin the final touches on the canopy. I wound up cutting in wooden slats that will have my light 6.5 - 7 inches above water level.

I went through the custom programming and have my whites up to 30% for a few hours. I did that before seeing the replies here. Is that too much for the beginning?

Also, for those of you with more RB experience, if I start playing around with the intensity will it mess up the program I've set up?

rk4435;966771 wrote:

Also, for those of you with more RB experience, if I start playing around with the intensity will it mess up the program I've set up?

You can change the presets and it won't change the custom program.

Back