How high to keep light fixture-HQI/T5?

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
New member here. Just set up my reef. 120 Oceanic Tech Series tank and stand, MRC sump (40 gallon w/ refugium), MRC Beckett skimmer, MRC calcium reactor, Deltec 509 Phos. reactor, 2 x Tunze 6101 w Multi controller, Pan World 100 PXX return pump, Outer Orbit 2 x 250 watt HQI/ 4 x 54 watt Actinic T5. Coralife 96 watt quad 4 6700K pc refugium light.

Just set up the sand bed and 180 lbs or so of live rock (thanks Mike!). Got some cheato in the Fuge.

I have hung the light fixture from the ceiling and would like to know what is a good height to start with? I am currently about 8 inches above the water right now.

My equipment is geared towards an acropora tank. Thanks for any help!
Best,
Dave

first of all welcome and wow you have an amazing system for just staarting out ...as far as how low the lights can go it depends on how much heat you get i had mine 2 inces from the surface of the water but i guess i was lucky ....most people keep them about 6-8 inches so you are in the ball park ...another thing to think about is what kind of corals you want to keep if your keeping sps corals and your lights are 150 watts you want them a little close but if they are 250s your in the ballpark best of luck to you and pics we are a group who can give better advice with good pics;)

also sice you have spent so much i recomend one more peace of equipment to protect your investment ...and that is a controller they are about 300 bucks but well worth it imho

Back