How long do corals stay mad after Transport?

hatzo1

Market
Reaction score
So just wondering how long do the corals (softies) stay mad after transport. I picked up a Green Toadstool Sunday and it has been pissed off and shrunken since then. It has shown its polyps a little but has not expanded back to the size it was in the LFS tank. All my water parameters are in check.

Toadstools are pretty indestructible in my experience so don't fret it'll be fine once it gets acclimated. Even after a few years mine will occasionally take a day off and not extend polyps as well.

Toadstools are pretty indestructible in my experience so don't fret it'll be fine once it gets acclimated. Even after a few years mine will occasionally take a day off and not extend polyps as well.
Yea its shrunk up and looks sad but I was just wondering, figured Id ask as the wife keeps worrying the crap out of me about it.

Could be the light is too bright.?.? Maybe placing it on the bottom will get it to open up more.

When you say your water parameters are in check what are they?

Ph 8.3
SG 1.26
Nitrate and Nitrite show less than 1
Temp 76
Just remembering from the weekend before I added.

Here is coral
52b2c42f13f95887447957b993a820fb.jpg

This one my son added today different store.
77e85893391634eaab316222c32a5ac8.jpg

If I remember right you've got a 120 and it's a new system. Softies like some nutrients in the water and if your reading zero for no3 that might be part of it.

How many fish do you have now?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It’s a 125. I have a total of 5 small fish Clown size and good size clean up crew.
Started dosing with “Fuel” for reefs the day I brought the coral home and had been dosing the standard reef supplements.
The sump has a Refugio’s with Chateo and another macro algae.

Ok if I did it right my Alk is 6.43 @ 1 dKH resolution. That is via Red Sea test kit

That's pretty low. I would take a sample to your LFS and have them confirm the Alk and check the calcium levels as well. Have you done a water change since setting up the tank? With no other corals, it shouldn't be that low. What salt are you using?

Also, are you 100% sure you are at 1.026 SG? I had very unhappy corals for a while which was caused by an incorrect calibration fluid that I used with my refractometer.

I am fairly certain the SG is correct . I have the calibration fluid. As for water changes yes I have done a few changes . I’m due again this weekend. I have been using Tropic Marin Pro Reef as that is what I started the tank with. Going to change as I’m out of it
This morning the polyps are seminout and it has mucus layer waving in water. I’ll go to the one store on the south side here Friday and see if they will check the water for me.
Thanks again for all the input. I hope to make a meeting and meet everybody soon.

9c54f209738be314bc6ae43bf2d597e3.jpg

I have been using Tropic Marin Pro Reef as that is what I started the tank with. Going to change as I’m out of it

Ah, your alk probably is correct then. That salt mixes at approximately 7.0. With Black Friday deals, it is good time to buy salt. I aim for 8.5-9, which is why I use LiveAquaria Professional Reef Salt. Fritz RPM is also a good choice as it mixes at the same levels as LiveAquaria.

If you go to the LFS tomorrow, ask them what salt they use the system that the toadstool was in.

If a different salt and/or changing the placement of the coral doesn't help, one last thing you can check is your equipment for stray voltage or exposed magnets.

With polyps coming out though, it is probably just settling in.

Ya i wouldnt worry too much about the toadstool. I used to have a ton of them when i first started and they live through absolutely everything. For most corals itll take a day or two atleast to open up. Some take longer if the lighting if very different. Looks like most of your parameters are at the right levels so just sit and wait. Doing too much can sometimes be a hindrance. If it doesnt open up by the weekend try different options

Back