How long do you run your lights?

liverock27

Market
Reaction score
How long does everyone run their lights? I was looking at some of the light programs on the Apex and a lot of them are 12hrs, but I thought I remember running my old systems for 10hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hrs
2 Hydra 26 hd
Ab+ spectrum I found on reef2reef
Everything from across to acans are happy

One of my tanks I run...10 hours with 15 minute ramp up and ramp down. Moons for four hours after rampdown. My other tank 10 hours as well.

9 total hours with 45 minute ramp up and ramp down. Working my up to 10 hours slowly since my light fixtures are still pretty new and I've been acclimating the tank to a higher intensity level for a while.

I run mine close to 13hrs. That includes moonlights in the morning and at night, before and after ramp up and down, with a solid hour at peak before ramp down begins.

D2C46BCB-06A0-4E7A-8F70-853858369BF6.jpeg2FF28CBB-66BF-48FB-A715-224533958AD2.jpeg

From 9:30am until 12:30pm ramps up from 0 to only 15% intensity. From 12:30 until 4pm is the big ramp up all the way to full intensity, stays like that for one hour until 5pm and then back down, pretty much mirroring the ramp up.

I run AI Prime HDs.

My main SPS tank has a variety of lighting. I run 2 ReefBrite actinic strips that run for 16 hrs. 2 generic LED strips similar to ReefBreeders lumen bars rated at 470nm for 13 hrs. A 6 bulb ATI fixture that has 2 Biotek LED t5 bulbs with actinic and UV lighting running 12 hrs and 4 ATI Blue+ bulbs for 10 hours.

I run mine close to 13hrs. That includes moonlights in the morning and at night, before and after ramp up and down, with a solid hour at peak before ramp down begins.

View attachment 5399View attachment 5400

From 9:30am until 12:30pm ramps up from 0 to only 15% intensity. From 12:30 until 4pm is the big ramp up all the way to full intensity, stays like that for one hour until 5pm and then back down, pretty much mirroring the ramp up.

I run AI Prime HDs.
Thank you for the pictures and explanation! I’ve been looking for a good schedule for my Ai prime
2 questions;
- Does this lighting schedule work well for everything in the tank?
- What corals do you have in the tank?

@Todd13189 check out the ab+ spectrum on reef2reef. Brs also made a video of it. Whatever you go with it's worth looking into.

Thank you for the pictures and explanation! I’ve been looking for a good schedule for my Ai prime
2 questions;

Sorry, I haven't logged in for 2 weeks so I'm just seeing this now.

It works for mine which is a mixed coral reef.

Everything from softies (zoas, leathers and mushrooms), LPS (chalice, hammer, torches, acans, favias, cyphastreas and leptastreas) and SPS (monties, psammocoras, acros, millies, leptos, bird nests, etc), anemones (maxi mini, collection of rock anemones and two bubble tips)

Once you set up a consistent lighting pattern, you can focus on the placement of the corals according to their flow and lighting needs.

Back