How long will Saltwater last

mfin77

Reaction score
I mixed some Saltwater last weekend but did not put a pump in, do you think this water is still good to use.

Mixed salt water sat in a sealed container for a week? You could check sal, ph and alk if you want to be sure but I do that all the time.

It's best to keep it circulating once mixed up. If it's sealed and circulating 7 to 10 days shouldn't be an issue.

Before building a water station, I would make water as soon as I used the last water then let the new water sit until I needed it.  I would toss a heater and pump in for an hour or so before using it and never noticed an issue.  As long as your container and water are clean, I do not think there is much that can go wrong other than possibly some of the trace elements settling and binding to the container unless you are using something with antibiotics, in which case the antibiotics would just be useless but the water would otherwise be good.

Now I mix water and leave it on a timer to circulate and heat the water 15 minutes every hour.  I never fully empty the container unless I am cleaning it, which I do every few months.

You'll be perfectly fine, just give the container a good shake and you're set to go.

Back