How many lbs of live / dead sand for 72x18?

phoenix20

Market
Reaction score
ARC

I'm picking up a 150g tank this weekend. Its going to be 72x18x<> I think its around 29" tall, but I dont think that should matter.

I want to do a deep sand bed -- 4 to 5" at least. How many lbs of sand should I pick up? Should I get "dead sand" and seed it with garfs grunge, or does it really matter to get that much live sand?

I have a 45g and 65g tank that I'm going to be taking the sand bed out from and dropping it into this new 150g. There is probably a 2" bed on both of those tanks, and they have been established now for about 9 months.

So, should I just pick up a bunch of regular dead sand and use the sand from my two existing tanks to seed it?

I have couple of buckets of aragonite live sand that I have from my 180. If you need them I can make you a deal or trade for coral.

Cool beans. I don't really have any frags to trade at this point, so I might just buy it straight up from you. PM

"Live sand" as sold in the stores is really wasted money, unless you're not adding any live rock to the system. Some sand from an established tank (couple cups) will do you much better.

A propper DSB should contain different grades of sand mixed (like a mix of
merchant.mvc

Back