How many LEDs for my tank???

rjpotts

Reaction score
Not totally sure if this is the right place for this, but...
I have a 36 gal corner bowfront that I'd like to light with LEDs.
Dimensions are: 24" (flat pieces), 33.5" across, 20" deep. The bowed part is also 24" from the corner all the way around.
I'm gonna convert it to an aio so I'm not absolutely sure what the actual dimensions of the display will end up being but I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 30 gal.
I'm gonna do a DIY setup. Planning on mostly zoas and other relatively easy stuff for now. Been outta this game for about 10 yrs.
Sorry so long, but.... How many? What combination of colors?
Only LEDs I have experience with are Cree, so that's what I'll prolly go with unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Oh yeah, this is my first post too.
Thanks,
R.J.

Wish somone would answer you . I too, would like to know the conversion equation from MH to LED. I have a 30 gallon Oceanic cube(18x18x18) and would like to know how many led watts i need to keep all types of coral. Is the 120 watt fixture enough for a 30 gallon? Is just a combo of blue and white leds OK?

Soxx;798920 wrote: Wish somone would answer you . I too, would like to know the conversion equation from MH to LED. I have a 30 gallon Oceanic cube(18x18x18) and would like to know how many led watts i need to keep all types of coral. Is the 120 watt fixture enough for a 30 gallon? Is just a combo of blue and white leds OK?

I have a Kessil A350 over mine and have had absolutely no problems, but it's only been there for a month.

However, my friend has the same setup and has had it running for as long as I remember (at least 10 months), and has two Crocea clams and one Maxima clam, several sps and a couple lps. The tank is simply amazing. If you wanna take a look, go to his store Optimum Aquarium in Kennesaw, GA. It's the tank on the counter in the back of the store.

i have the same tank, 36g corner bow front, that i just setup. i have a single AI Sol Blue LED over it. it provides plenty of light. someone said it may require 2 but i think one covers it enough. there are shadows in the corners but it shouldnt be a problem. if you want to do a DIY fixture i'd recommend 24-36 LEDs

That's about how many I figured I'd need. I guess if i use dimmable drivers it wont hurt to have "too many" as ill be able to tune it down to keep from frying things. Def gonna DIY it cause I have access to heat sinks of all shapes and sizes for free. Prob most of the wire and everything else I might need too. I'm planning on arranging my fixture in a shape that will work best with the shape of this tank rather than the standard square/rectangle.
Now to figure out how many of each color to use.
Anyone make or have a DIY for a timer capable of slowly lighting/dimming LEDs? Rather than a simple on or off?

Soxx I have a Bio cube as well and I have 3 stunner strips (1 white, 1 50/50, and 1 magenta )over it and every thing has been doing great for about a year now. I am upgrading to soon to a 93 cube

Back