How many wraps?

jetchris

Market
Reaction score
I have a 2" threaded piece of pvc that threads into my CL pump. I wrapped the threads 1 time and turned the fitting into the pump with slip jaw pliers. I turned until it got so tight I almost could not turn anymore. But still about 1/4 of the threads were still showing? I did not think anything of it. I wet tested my tank today and sure enough it started leaking out of the CL inlet where the 2" threads go in. What should I do? Continue to turn it in and take a chance of cracking the pump housing? Take it out and rewrap the threads?? Its a sequence snapper pump.

I always wrap threads three or four times at least. I would rather it not screw completly in but seal with the tape. It has always worked for me.

Don't over-tighten it. use more teflon. If you use the pink tape, it works a lot better (it's thicker than the white stuff). If you're using the white stuff, then you're supposed to wrap it multiple times.

OK so i shall unscrew it and re-wrap the threads 3 to 4 times and screw it in until it gets really tight???

If you take 3 or 4 wraps, it should seal without having to test your upper arm strength! Just tighten up firmly till it seats.

Geehh;129098 wrote: If you take 3 or 4 wraps, it should seal without having to test your upper arm strength! Just tighten up firmly till it seats.

I agree. I always wrap 4-6 times. Always works great no leaky. Good luck man!

only thing worse than a leaky pipe is an itchy pipe...

Skriz;129103 wrote: only thing worse than a leaky pipe is an itchy pipe...

LOL well said; Chris-I just get a good layer of teflon along the pipe-I think overlapping it 4 or 6 times isn't good--just my opiinion; be careful that you didn't cross-thread your connection-that would leak no matter how much/little teflon you put on ;)

Skriz;129103 wrote: only thing worse than a leaky pipe is an itchy pipe...

yeah itchy pipes suck, especially when you get it tested ! OUCH

Heck, I always wrap the threads untill I can just barley see them, never had a leak but I guess I wasted a ton of teflon.

Jaandgc;129181 wrote: Heck, I always wrap the threads untill I can just barley see them, never had a leak but I guess I wasted a ton of teflon.

sounds good , but i am worried if i wrap to much it will stress the housing and crack it, doesnt that happen?

It has never happened to me (knock on wood). The tape flatens out to almost nothing when you tighten it.

you can't add too much tape. Like Jerry said, it flatens out to nothingness. I'd be more concerned with overtightening than overtaping.

Yes- you can break the pump housing... I've read about it several times from sequence owners.... be careful!

Definitely use the "pink" teflon tape. I have had luck only wraping the threads 2-3 times. Don't over tighten, this will cause it to leak. But with those "ex-airfarce" girl guns you have I am sure you couldn't anyway!!!

mojo;129207 wrote: Yes- you can break the pump housing... I've read about it several times from sequence owners.... be careful!

Was this do to over taping or over tightning?

If the tape doesn't hack it you could always change to the liquid teflon pipe dope. That always works for me, especially when sealing plastic to plastic fittings.

I cracked my Dart pump housing. Either too much pink teflon tape or too much arm strength??? :doh:
If you look at the instructions on the Sequence pumps it says very clearly 'do not use teflon tape' Instead I recommend that you use the liquid teflon pipe dope as well.
Good luck. :)

Back