How much is my coral worth?

andrewjjones1212

Supporting
Reaction score
I've had this green hammer for a few years and was wondering what these sell for? its at least 3 in diameter with 15-ish heads. Any estimates? I would be open to moving it if anyone had a good offer

Attachments

• IMG_6228[5541] gree.jpg
    IMG_6228[5541] gree.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6229[5542] green.jpg
    IMG_6229[5542] green.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
I'm not much of an euphillya guy myself but broken down I think it's worth more. Let's say $10 per head. The problem comes if you don't want to frag it down and and try to sell the whole thing because $150 is a lot of money. Sold as-is it would be worth less because it starts to get up there in cost. If it's a unique hammer, say gold, it would be worth more. Of course you also have to find the right buyer because I've never had luck with euphyllia species and won't put another one in my tank to slowly die.

It’s not a cop out to say whatever someone wants to pay:/
There’s an sps fb page that sells 700$ half inch frags all the time. Would I pay that? Haha haha haha

I use to sell sps frags here at $12 a frag. Some would want more.
That euphy would probably go for about $40 in a shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the same boat as you are...Trying to figure out a fair price to sell my coral at, since it has outgrown a nano. Post back what you decided to do about it. Frag it or if you sell it as a whole. Blessings and Happy Reefing!

Jcook NAILED it!
It’s sad to chop it up but we all like to watch our Frags become beautiful large corals.
My issue with smaller, cheaper frags is the more people you do business with, the more time it takes... time is money.

IMHO for smaller items < $40 sell as “PayPal to hold”.
This will eliminate some of the “No Shows”.
GL

I appreciate this thread so much and the disscussion on what can be done, as I am currently in the same situation. I have very little experiance fragging anything and dont want to harm, kill or destroy any of my corals, if I have to frag them, to get a little more money out of them. I also dont have connections or time (I have 9 special needs kids at home still). In the past, I have trimmed my corals as they have grown into each other to make room and I am clumbsy when cleaning and accidently broke many over the years and just gave the pieces to friends or glued them in other tanks. I have traded trimmings to coral shops too. But to frag a whole colony...I am afraid it will crumble if I dont know what I am doing.

How you ^ manage to find time to grow corals is mind boggling. Hats off to you!

How you ^ manage to find time to grow corals is mind boggling. Hats off to you!
Thank you. Caring for our family is definitely at God thing. I stay at home and home school the school age ones, so I am home a lot more than most people. Reefing...well the aquarium hobby in general... is very relaxing for me and my husband knows it and supports me in it. Please feel free to take a look at my 20L tank under members tanks. Some of those larger corals need to go. I just need to figure out how. :) I hope Andrewjjones12 chimes back in to say what he decided to do with his and how. :) Blessings and Happy reefing!

Thank you. Caring for our family is definitely at God thing. I stay at home and home school the school age ones, so I am home a lot more than most people. Reefing...well the aquarium hobby in general... is very relaxing for me and my husband knows it and supports me in it. Please feel free to take a look at my 20L tank under members tanks. Some of those larger corals need to go. I just need to figure out how. :) I hope Andrewjjones12 chimes back in to say what he decided to do with his and how. :) Blessings and Happy reefing!
deciding to hold on and grow it out more. gotta learn a bit more about fragging before I jump into it

deciding to hold on and grow it out more. gotta learn a bit more about fragging before I jump into it
I have tried to cut a branch off a Hammer before twice. The first time with sharp bone cutters and it crushed the end of the branch into a pulpy shattered,, mess but the head was saved just shorter than I wanted. Wasnt pretty. So there is a right way and wrong way to frag everything for sure. The second time I cut a branch off with a dremmel because a friend wanted a piece of it. Cut through it like butter. Nice clean cut on parent and frag, Just to let you know. :) I guess I need some fragging lessons as well. My problem is, some of the corals I need to frag or sell as a whole are very solid poccillaporas. I am afraid it will just crush. And they dont have clear branches to frag off it, It is kind of like a tight piece of coliflower. And I also have nothing to let them heal in either. I pray your fragging goes well and you sell them well. Thank you for your reply. :)

Back