How much is too much?

ripped tide

Market
Reaction score
I got a new reflector and ballast today for my 30rimless frag tank.

It's the Luxcore select a watt 250-400 watt electronic ballast. The reflector is the lumen bright mini pendant. After hooking it all up and firing it up, there is a HUGE noticable difference in visual light. With the old set up, I had been getting about 350-400 par in the bottom center.

I just put the meter under the new set up and the numbers have doubled, if not trippled. I'm getting above 1000 par.

First of all... W T F? Does a new ballast and reflector make that much of a differance?

Secondly, I'm afraid I am going to start bleaching things. I don't want to raise the light a lot, because of spillage and the tank is right next to a window.... Don't wanna give the neighbors the wrong impression ;)

The crazy part is that the ballast has an over drive option. I don't think I'll need it, but that option was the reason that I bought that ballast.

well ive never worked with halides i went straight from t5s to led's so i cant really comment on anything in this post but i will say (im sure youve already thought up a solution to the bleaching but ill throw in my 2 cents anyway) that if you have access to some black screen mesh get about 5 or 6 layers and lay them over the tank to block out some of the light and take a layer away every 5 days to a week till theyre all gone that should aclimate the corals well enough to keep them from bleaching.

813232=40877-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353126151.923709.jpg
>
813232=40877-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353126151.923709.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353126151.923709.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
813232=40878-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353126164.558349.jpg
>
813232=40878-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353126164.558349.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353126164.558349.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

I raised it about 4 inches and got it to drop down some.

It's hard to tell in the pic, but the sensor is resting on the rock that the acro is growing on.

How deep is the tank? And have you checked the meter to see if its reading right?

You really need to be careful. Corals can suffer from too much light just as easily as not enough. 850 Par is too strong for many corals IMO.

Btw, yes a ballast and reflector change can cause a HUGE difference

The tank is only 12" deep. I'll probably raise the light some more until I can drop back down to around 400-500.... Or I'll go back to my old reflector that spills a lot more light out of the sides.

Edit: Or put the old ballast back on until the corals adjust to the new reflector.

Edit:
Picoreefguy;813229 wrote: well ive never worked with halides i went straight from t5s to led's so i cant really comment on anything in this post but i will say (im sure youve already thought up a solution to the bleaching but ill throw in my 2 cents anyway) that if you have access to some black screen mesh get about 5 or 6 layers and lay them over the tank to block out some of the light and take a layer away every 5 days to a week till theyre all gone that should aclimate the corals well enough to keep them from bleaching.

That would probably work really well, I just don't have any black plastic mesh.

Alright folks, I know that you guys were just hanging at the edge of your seats.... Fixed!

I just decided that I would jack it up about 8 inches which dropped the center par back down to around 500. That will be a little more than they were used to, but not much.

nice to know it does that well i have basically the same combo over my 60 cube.

Inverse square law Dylan, means if you doubled the distance you'll get ~1/4 the light/PAR.

If the tank is only 12 inches deep, you're not getting much scattering from suspended particulates either.

Back