How much pump do I need?

rodasphoto

Market
Reaction score
I currently have a dct8000 and built the attached manifold but barely get any flow in my tank. It consists of 1 inch PVC that reduces to 1/2 in at each T to feed a skimmer and 2 reactors that I have not connected yet.
7f19085327943be2a35f211d306d61b0.jpg
alt="" />

Do you think a dct12000 will be enough pump?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

What are you running off the manifold? It looks like you are currently supplying a skimmer and the reurn line? What skimmer?

JBDreefs;1046325 wrote: What are you running off the manifold? It looks like you are currently supplying a skimmer and the reurn line? What skimmer?

Return and Reef Octopus DNW 110. I have not hooked a carbon and gfo reactor because of lack of flow on the return.

Is the skimmer a recirculating model? If so, I would valve it down a good bit. You will see more flow in the DT.

Water is going to follow the path of least resistance. With the skimmer valve 100% open, it sounds like all your water is going through the skimmer.

One downside of a manifold is that an adjustment to one valve will effect the others also. You will have to play with all the valves until the output on each is where you like. It may take lots of tweaking.

If I were you, I would close all my valves and hook up my equipment. Then I would start opening them from right to left, and I would only open them until I achieved the minimum (or slightly above minimum) flow through the unit. Hopefully, by the end of this process, everything will be closely tuned and you will be able to assess the flow to the DT.

I have the valve for the skimmer wide open because the flow was barely enough to get the water level up to the neck of the skimmer. I plan to add another valve to the return as well in case I ever need it.

JBDreefs;1046336 wrote: Have you tried closing the gate valve on the skimmer?
That was the first thing I tried. I went ahead and ordered a Jebao dct12000. I hope it will have enough flow.

Back