How much rock?

popsbjd

Supporting
Reaction score
I know there isn't a real definitive answer to this but I'll ask anyway...

So, I'm getting ready to set up a 120 (4x4x2). My plan is to use dry rock and go with an island aquascape leaving plenty of swimming space. To offset the lack of rock I was going to add 2 4" marinepure blocks to the sump. I was going to get Pukani rock but, unless anyone has a line on some or some extra sitting around, I guess I'm out of luck (btw, you can tell how long its been since I set up a new tank. I didn't know about this until I went to BRS trying to order some). Probably just going to grab some standard base rock or maybe some reef saver. So, to the actual question, how little rock could I get away with, especially with the 2 marinepure blocks. I'm not sure how much the old 1lb/gallon rule still holds today with all the various new tech and media available. Also, does anyone have an opinion on the best dry rock to use these days? Thanks!

Pops

Attachments

• reef.PNG
    reef.PNG
    782.8 KB · Views: 23
The marine pure blocks definetly help but 1lb per gallon is still the basic rule but I do see 3/4 lb per gallon being tossed around now. I think the least you should still go for is 1/2, but id do closer to 3/4 just to be safe. It really just depends on how long you want to cycle for and how much lifestock you are going to keep. The best rock ive seen is Marco reef saver. They have lots of varieties and the rocks are very porous and dont leech chemicals from what I know.

Thanks for the input. I generally understock my tanks but I haven't settled on a stock list just yet. I see tanks like the one I posted above and wonder how they get away with so much negative space in a display but who knows the total volume on a tank like that, how much rock could be in a sump somewhere, or the maintenance routine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Idk from what i typically see, most people have less rock now and days but it all depends on the usable space and area of the rock a 4x4 piece of rock can weigh anywhere from 15 lbs to 50lbs so you might have enough poundage but the more porous the rock is the better it should be.

If you get the marco rock i think youll be very pleased. If you have any doubts you are more than welcome to come check some out that I have. Just starting up a huge tank so i have a ton laying around getting ready to stack up.

Idk from what i typically see, most people have less rock now and days but it all depends on the usable space and area of the rock a 4x4 piece of rock can weigh anywhere from 15 lbs to 50lbs so you might have enough poundage but the more porous the rock is the better it should be.

If you get the marco rock i think youll be very pleased. If you have any doubts you are more than welcome to come check some out that I have. Just starting up a huge tank so i have a ton laying around getting ready to stack up.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that. Where are you located?

Ultimately, I think I'll just have to buy some rock and start to scape. If you end up with eatra rock you aren't going to use, I'd be interested in taking off your hands. :D

Im in Suwanee. Ya just shoot me a pm if you are interested.

Haha idk if Ill have an extra at this point. I think most of it has a purpose but we will see

I've always heard about a pound per gallon. Of course, if that doesn't fill up your tank, add more

60 lbs of Punkani
If you’re creative it is easy to cut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put 30lbs in my 29gal. Then let it all cycle . Ended up removing a 8lb piece for space , I also have 8 bio xport 2" cubes , 1L of matrix ,1 liter of bio xport smaller cubes in my hang on sump . No issues

Yeah, I really want an open scape. I'm hopeful to get by with less in a 120. I have about 30 in a bio cube as well. I'm going to try to get 60-80 pounds and see how that looks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It depends on your fish load. The rock is a filter so more fish means more filters needed.

I if you keep it lightly stocked 1lb per gallon is fine. If you like to overstock like I do 2lbs per gallon is better.

But remember you dont have to have all the rock in the display. I have 2/3 of my rock in my fuge so I can keep the tank more open looking.

Don't plan your rock based on the filtration you need. Base it on the look that you want.

You've got the right idea by addressing the filtration with filtration media/equipment. Get the best skimmer you can and have a solid life support plan overall and you can do pretty much whatever you want in your DT.

Don't plan your rock based on the filtration you need. Base it on the look that you want.

You've got the right idea by addressing the filtration with filtration media/equipment. Get the best skimmer you can and have a solid life support plan overall and you can do pretty much whatever you want in your DT.

Agreed! Most people end up with a display of stacked rock. Plan on your corals being the focus. Keep in mind those head sized colonies of sps take up a lot of room!

Agreed! Most people end up with a display of stacked rock. Plan on your corals being the focus. Keep in mind those head sized colonies of sps take up a lot of room!

Like all normal people. given that this advice conforms to what I wanted to hear, I will follow it. :p

I'm moving forward getting everything setup. I'm still on the lookout for some dry rock. I'm probably going to get ~30 lbs of reef saver from BRS and scrounge from past builds/the forum for the rest.

Back