How much salt?

Toste

Market
Reaction score
So I am confused. I have a total of 112 gallon tank with sump and I am mixing Red Sea corral pro. I was told 1/2 cup per gallon which would be 28 cups. The bucket says it is for 175 gallons. Seems like I have more then half the bucket left.

not sure if 1/2 cup is right. Setting up for hard core LPS

So I am confused. I have a total of 112 gallon tank with sump and I am mixing Red Sea corral pro. I was told 1/2 cup per gallon which would be 28 cups. The bucket says it is for 175 gallons. Seems like I have more then half the bucket left.

not sure if 1/2 cup is right. Setting up for hard core LPS
I would say about 24 cups. I just mixed around 20 gallon with around 4 cups. I'm using instant ocean though, Salinity was around 1.023

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I agree that your math may be off. Get a refractometer, analog or digital, and mix based on that rather than volume (cups) measurements.

Otherwise, you may not have accounted for the rock in your tank. Rocks displace a good chunk of water, so your total water volume will be less than your system volume.

So for this salt, about at 1/2 cup per gallon that means 1 cup per 2 gallons. Doing the math for 112 gallon tank plus your sump and pipes, and displacement for rocks etc let’s start guessing about 120 gallons of total water volume. That would be 60 cups of salt for 120 gallons of water. Then, you need to measure your salinity. Did you hit what you wanted - typically a range from hyposalinity 1.023 to spot on 1.026? It is easier to go up on salinity by slowly adding more salt compared to going down on salinity as there is no room to add more RoDI water typically in a tank when starting up. So, I usually start measuring salinity with a Hanna checker towards the last 10 cups or so of salt being added to make sure I am on point and stop when I am close to where I want my salinity. Then I let it throughly mix and tweak only after it has mixed to avoid errors.

I would say about 24 cups. I just mixed around 20 gallon with around 4 cups. I'm using instant ocean though, Salinity was around 1.023

Ugh I forget my measuring cup is 2 cups not one. Sorry.

Back