how much salt

marienboy

Market
Reaction score
i have a 75 gallon tank and i was wonder ing how much salt to put it in their and how to put it in the tank

Follow the directions printed on the bag or bucket of salt mix.

Sorry to be so blunt, but have you done any research into the keeping and cycling of a reef tank?

I have found that 3 cups of Reef Crystals will take 5 gallons of water to 1.026.

Do yourself a favor and buy a refractometer, and calibrate it with Pinpoint 35 ppt solution. Both are available from our Sponsors or online at Bulk Reef Supply.

Just an aside - better to mix the salt a bit less than you think you'll need. It's easier to adjust if you need to add more salt, because you can't take any away ;) If you add too much you'll have to dilute - use more water etc.

So be a bit conservative, mix, aerate and age it a bit, test it (refractometer is good advice) and if you need to add a bit more, do so, test, repeat if necessary til it's right.

The book that Dawgdude suggested is a good one. It just came out in a revised addition so now it's even better than the copies that these folks likely have :) It covers a bit of everything so if you only ever invest in one book, that's the one (although there are tons of great books out there) - it's always the first one I recommend.

Jenn

Back