How much to feed?

son of adam

Market
Reaction score
How much food should a food feeder feed if a food feeder should feed food?

3" + clarkie
3" + purple tang
2" red tale trigger
4" watchmen gobie
2" pigmy angle
2" black cap baslette (Sp)
18" bristle star
1.5" dragonet
1.5" scooter blenny
1" green clown goby

I use a chum of most typical frozen foods. About 5 or 6 cube at a time total and a sheet of algea in the clip. All is used by the days end with three feedings.

What are you ladies and gents doing and does my feedings sound wrong?

WOW 5-6 cubes? And an entire sheet of algae all in one day...U must have a monster skimmer

Yeah it is big for the 200 gal. system. It is an MRC MR-2. I know this seems like alot to me too, but they follow me around with puppie eyes if I stop the routine.

That is why I posted what I am doing and the fish sizes. My water only shows some phates at typical water change and testing times. Should I do something different or keep this up.

This is typical stuff for my tank it does not show any bad tests results. Not sure of the amount of food they should get as a community. Is this way off in other tanks?

I feed one cube in the morning and one cube in the evening: plus 1/4 sheet of algae.

2 - 2.5" false percs
1 - 2.5" dwarf flame angle
1 - 2.0" royal gamma
1 - 2.5" six line wrasse
1 - 3.0" powder brown tang
1 - 2.5" firefish
1 - 2.5" wheeler gobie
1 - 3.0" long nose yellow butterfly

Thought I was feeding too much!

elFloyd;388849 wrote: I feed one cube in the morning and one cube in the evening: plus 1/4 sheet of algae.

2 - 2.5" false percs
1 - 2.5" dwarf flame angle
1 - 2.0" royal gamma
1 - 2.5" six line wrasse
1 - 3.0" powder brown tang
1 - 2.5" firefish
1 - 2.5" wheeler gobie
1 - 3.0" long nose yellow butterfly

Thought I was feeding too much!

Thanks for the example!

I've always wondered this myself. I have a lot of fish, and I feed a lot of frozen (Rod's), but I usually try to put a little more in there for the corals and filter feeders.

Sometimes I think any algae I have is partly my fault from overfeeding.

Hey... I'm still new at this! Let's see what some of the old timers give as examples!

Acroholic;388854 wrote: I've always wondered this myself. I have a lot of fish, and I feed a lot of frozen (Rod's), but I usually try to put a little more in there for the corals and filter feeders.

Sometimes I think any algae I have is partly my fault from overfeeding.

That is my train of thought here.

I feed my own mix of frozen every other day about 1/4 of a teaspoon...Mix consists of mysis, phyto, flakes and garlic
3 inch vlamingi tang
2.5 inch lubbocks wrasse male
2 inch lubbocks wrasse female
2 inch male bangi cardinal
2 inch female bangi cardinal
3 inch blue sided wrasse
4 inch sand sifting starfish

OK, let's see. I thought I was feeding a lot but maybe not!
210 Reef (about 400G with sump & refugiums)
4" Regal Tang
3" Yellow Tang
3" Chevron Tang
3" Foxface
3" & 2" Ocellaris Clowns
1" & 2" Tomatoe Clowns
1 Adult Bangaii and 3 juveniles
2 Adult Pajama Cardinals
6 Blue-Green Chromis (1-2")
Wheeler's Goby
Flame Tail Blenny
Smith's Blenny
Spotted Dragonette
Adult pair Dwarf Flame Angels
Orchid Dottyback
Neon Dottyback
Royal Gramma
Yellow Coris Wrasse (2 adult)

I feed them a mix of frozen mysis (one inch square piece), Sally's Emerald Entree (one square inch), Enriched Brine Shimp (one cube), Formula one pellets - small (about 15-20). Food stays in the water column for about 45 seconds before it is all eaten.

Bob

Son of Adam;388851 wrote: They can eat all that in five minutes. Just kidding. Twice a day?

that was more ...... me being cynical about the directions found on just about every type of fish food..

Back