How much vinegar do i need

york1

Supporting
Reaction score
to clean out a 120 gallon tank? I plan on filling it up with vinegar and water letting it circulate for a few hours.

Your best bet is to use new razor blades and clean the glass with those taking care to avoid the silicone seams. Then vacuum out the dust & debris. Any residue left on the glass will come clean pouring straight vinegar on a rag with a little elbow grease.

Your best bet is to use new razor blades and clean the glass with those taking care to avoid the silicone seams. Then vacuum out the dust & debris. Any residue left on the glass will come clean pouring straight vinegar on a rag with a little elbow grease.
Ok but the worst is on the plastic walls of the overflows. Should i just spray them down with vinegar?

Yes, using vinegar full strength is fine. Just wash off completely when done.

FWIW-
If you find that vinegar won't clean off what may appear to be etched glass and/or is insoluble, try using some 5% citric acid (by weight). Be patient, & give it time.
You can buy it here and make it yourself. Just be careful not to get it in your eyes & use rubber gloves. Rinse off thoroughly after use.
Citric acid has a unique ability to dissolve calcium salts, far better than vinegar, muratic or any other acid you will find.

On the acrylic overflows try this. Put a couple towels down on the floor or table and lay the tank on it's back side. Then lay vinegar soaked rags on the overflows. You can pour a little extra down occasionally too. After 15-20 minutes the vinegar will have loosened up a good bit of the coraline which can be gentally scraped off with the plastic scraper. Repeat till you're satisfied.

On a side note I'm planning on getting some citric acid linked above to do this as well as to clean pumps & heaters.

when i cleaned out my 150 i used like a gallon of vinegar and a hose came out really good

Back