How often do you change GFO?

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I'm new to the use of GFO. I'm not necessarily seeing results in the tank yet but I am on the phos test.
I changed out the original batch at about 1.5 weeks because I was putting in a new sump.

The current batch has been in for two weeks and I don't really know how long to go.

if you have a low range phosphate test kit like a HACH, you can always test the water coming out to see if it's lower than the the display...

reality? I have about 100 gallons total, but I feed like most (not all, of course) do on a 200 or more...

so I feed heavy.

I also, remove heavy.

Large weekly water changes (or bi-weekly max 33%)

Wet skimming

weekly HC GFO & ROX Carbon changes no matter what...I only use a cup or so of each, but change it weekly as after 7-14 bacteria coats it and renders it ineffective...

If I have newbies, I've add a sock of carbon or rinsed phosban to Rox carbon cartridge...

Thanks, I will change it when I get home. I believe it has helped stop the red slime. It kept popping up weekly. My water is clearer than ever, but that could be because I am now using a filter sock I suppose.

I change mine when my sand starts getting brown spots (usually around 3-4weeks).

I run a small two little fishes 150 reactor on my 210gal and fill it half full. Works fantastic.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

frag freak;942540 wrote: monthly....

+1 I typically change it once per month.

If my phosphates are really high, I will use phosguard first to bring them down to a normal range (I change this every week till numbers are normal). I then switch to GFO and use it to maintain low levels.

rk4435;942616 wrote: JeffMuse, do you run the Phosguard in the GFO reactor?

I have actually done it a couple of different ways. Phosguard is probably more efficacious in a reactor; however, you have to change it so frequently that I find the reactor to be a pain.

Typically I measure out a cup or so of phosguard and put it in a mesh bag... I throw it in the sump and let it do its thing. A week later, I will test again and if phosphates are still high, I'll dump out the bag and throw in a new batch.

In general I find that phosguard does a better job lowering phosphates quickly, but the media gets saturated so quickly that I do not think that it is very feasible to run all the time. GFO is a nice for keeping phosphates low and you can run the media for up to a month.

Back