How should I remove these zoas to new frags

project1004

Supporting
Reaction score
I have some zoas that are growing on flat rock. And this rock is like 2'x2'
I like to get these zoas onto frags without having to break the rock.
Any good ideas as to how to remove them?

2whkqwn.jpg
alt="" />

wmi0ci.jpg
alt="" />

15qya7m.jpg
alt="" />

Razor blade.

Cut the connective tissue and shave off rock. Super glue on to new area.

DawgFace;948863 wrote: Razor blade.

Cut the connective tissue and shave off rock. Super glue on to new area.
+1 Try to get a real thin layer of the rock under the stalk.

<!-- gcu-updated ame -->http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ed1ON95oMgU<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

There 100's more out there.

You will have the highest success rate by just breaking the base rock into fragments with a hammer and flathead screwdriver, however if you want to be precise with the number of zoas per frag and want to retain the base rock in its entirity I would recommend a medical scalpel (BRS sells something similar in its fragging tools section) and a good quality pair of tweezers (I get them from the wife). I like to use the tweezers to aggravate the zoas just enough to close up. This will allow you to get the best view of the underlying flesh and plan your best lines for cutting. With a fresh scalpel blade you can usually cut a thin layer of rock underneath the zoa skin. When being this precise with the cutting I feel that the most i mportant part is getting just the right amount of glue on the frag plug and using the tweezers to place the zoa just perfectly on the glue so as to make sure that nothing touches the skirt and that you have enough glue coverage around the base to make sure the zoa stays in place. After that I like to leave the newly cut frag out of water for about 5 minutes or enough time to let the glue begin to set (fresh super glue dipped into water still has a little viscocity. Keep the new zoas in a very low flow area until you feel confident that the are securely attached to the frag plug.

I was able to scrape the zoas right off the rock.
I just hope these will open up.

I was able to prepare with necessary tools.
35d6lvk.jpg
alt="" />

started scraping off the rock.
10ggrw0.jpg
alt="" />

after.
2v3l9xz.jpg
alt="" />

The zoas on the new rock.
x0uubn.jpg
alt="" />

Another option I have had success with is laying a small rock or frag plug in the middle of the colony. Then when some grow on the plu just pull the plug out. Works well with tall z and p's. Smaller ones you ca. Glue a plug next to it. Then when it begins to grow on the plug. Break rhe plug off the rock.

Looks like you did fine though

Back