How to calm a fish

legalreefer

Market
Reaction score
So I feel a little armature asking this but I have had this foxface for a couple years now. I originally had him in my 180 for a little while when I first got him. Then he got moved into a 100g Rubbermaid for at least a year and a half. I moved him back into the 180 last night and he has been freaking out since. Pacing, flashing his fins at his reflection, jumped out of the water when he saw me, etc. what can I do to help calm him down before it gets too late?

I thought I turned the lights off but I didn’t but I just did when I noticed they were on. I also put a little prime in the water.

Any suggestions before it’s too late?

Sorry I didnt see this sooner.  How did it go after the lights were turned off (it may have been stressful seeing his own reflection in the glass).  Are all you parameters in check?

If turning the lights out isn't working maybe try covering the sides and about half the front of the tank with dark colored paper if its that bad and he won't settle down. Id still run my lights on the tank as normal.. Then gradually remove the coverings and see what happens. Make sure he has a place he can retreat to inside the tank as well. He shouldn't be able to see his reflection from inside the tank unless there is a mirror near by. If you stick your head inside your tank and look out you would just see out. (waterproof camera etc,) now while they don't see like us they def see out.

He's not used to his new environment. He's been closed up in a bin for a long time. I'd just give him some time and like Sean said, places to hide.

Try feeding him several times a day and rubber band some nori algae to a 3" piece of pvc and give it about an hour before lights out.  The more he interacts with the other fish the better, if he sees that you are bringing food the less scary you will be.  Mine begs when ever he sees me in the room.  Good luck!

He is doing better when I’m not around. If I stick my head in the room he just paces up and down I the corner. But when he sees me he freaks out and hides. He doesn’t come out to eat. I’ve been feeding him nori which I’m not sure if he is eating.

Back