How to connect generator?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
My wife bought me an 8000W generator for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out the best way to use it if the need arises. It has two dual 20 amp GFCI outlets and one 30 amp 120/240V GFCI outlet with a cordset that has four sockets at the end.

If I loose power I would want my return pumps, powerheads, and heaters plugged in depending on the time of year but would probably not bother with lights. In addition, I'd probably want a refridgerator, maybe a furnace, it's gas so would only need to run the blower, water heater, also gas but need to run electronics for it, and maybe a TV.

I know I could run extension cords, except for the furnace, to the generator to run the things I want but is there a better way to have it all set up? Has anyone had to live off a generator for a day or so? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

you could also use extension cords for the furnace... (if your furnace is hard wired to an electrical box, you could just dismantle it, put an outlet and cover plate in the existing box and add a plug to the power cord that was hard wired - make sure that the plug and outlet are properly sized for the furnace, if it's gas fired, it should be a 20A outlet)

the easiest way to do "automate" everything you're asking is with a manual transfer switch and a sub panel where all of the equipment you want to run in "power out" is fed back to the sub panel. the transfer switch will switch power to feed the sub panel from the main electrical panel to the generator. the generator may need to be re-wired so that it will deliver its full load through a single (properly sized) conductor wire which will run to the transfer switch.

by far, the easiest/cheapest way to do it is to run electrical cords (make sure they are sized properly for the amperage load on them)

Make sure you turn the main off so you don't feed back to the lines .The linesmen do not appreciate a bump very much. JamesS can surely help you here. I'm thinking a sub panel with a transfer switch

grouper therapy;437819 wrote: Make sure you turn the main off so you don't feed back to the lines .The linesmen do not appreciate a bump very much.

a properly wired transfer switch takes care of that issue..

using extension cords and unplugging from the house service and plugging into the generator will solve that issue as well...

since it doesn't happen so often, I shut the main switch off to the meter.

Shut the breakers off.

I then plug my generator into an outdoor covered wall outlet which now supplies power to that circuit inside. I run extension cords to frig.

(this is very dangerous, as you have to make a male/male cord)

works great!

? why not just buy a 10' piece of 6gauge(or whatever size required for the load) wire and put a plug on each end ?

or put a female plug on each end so that you can make the connection you need...

With two male connectors on each end there is the danger of someone(small children) pulling out the load end while the line end is still plugged in and having exposed live prongs. I think that is what Ralph is referring to.

grouper therapy;437844 wrote: With two male connectors on each end there is the danger of someone(small children) pulling out the load end while the line end is still plugged in and having exposed live prongs. I think that is what Ralph is referring to.

gotcha... that makes more since now... you can always replace the plugs/outlets with twist lock electrical whips...

Thanks for the inputs. Jason (Rockdog) installed a second panel in my basement that runs most of my aquarium stuff. I'm thinking if I pull everything I want to run from the generator down to that panel I'll be able to add a transfer switch and make it an easy startup. In the mean time I probably need to go buy some extension cords just in case.

GREAT PLAN!!!!

that's what I did when we wired my parents basement, just ran the entire basement and upstairs refrigerator circuits out of the new subpanel and put about 2' of extra feeder so we could easily add a transfer switch at a later date...

perfect. I need to do something like that, so my furrnace can be added too.

mysterybox;438509 wrote: perfect. I need to do something like that, so my furrnace can be added too.

add it as an extension cord like I suggested earlier in the thread.. it'll cost next to nothing... (since it doesn't happen often)

Back