how to detach a clam?

johnr2604

Market
Reaction score
well I dont have alot of expierience with clams and was wondering the best way to get them to detach. I got a maxima from Tim about a month ago and it has attached itself to one of my favorite zoa rocks and I cant have that.

very carefully lift it...not too much because you can cause damage. Take a razor blade and cut the byssal threads that are attached to the rock....get as close to the rock as you can! The clam will close up but it'll be ok. Just don't pull hard on it! very gentle.

Ya, do what Lee said. Ice cube will not work on a clam.. (Unless you are going to serve him on the half shell with some lemon)

I did the razor blade trick before and it works fine. My crocea is doing well and growing 6+ months later.

Matt

It's really easy...just go slow and cut low....and there is my new saying ;)

glxtrix;226955 wrote: It's really easy...just go slow and cut low....and there is my new saying ;)
LOL, that could be said for fragging zoas and most corals. This is my first clam but I am a zoanut at heart so when I saw he had attached to one of my colonies I was heart broken. How long can I keep a clam out of the water or should I try and do this in the tank?

In tank would be best...but you can take it out if you want. Just watch out, they like to spit water when taken out. You could leave it near the zoas, it's not going to hurt anything...but understand if you don't. Try to do this procedure underwater if you can, if not the least time in the air the better. It's a piece of cake, I actually detached my Derasa tonight from the bottom of my tank.

Another piece of advice is: Do not worry about the small amount of bristles left on the rock where you cut them. I have seen people start hacking at the rock to get them off. They will melt away soon after you cut him off.

Second piece of advice: When you go to cut him off, he will naturally try to pull toward the rock. As lees said, do not pull hard and just go nice and slow.

Third piece of advice: If you mess up and kill him. Cut him open like an oyster and sprinkle a but of lemon over him as you swallow him down raw. They are mighty tasty!!

That would be an expensive meal. Funny thing is he has slid down on the rock almost back to the sand bed tonight so maybe the zoas are pissing him off.

I was going to say a good karate chop might remove him. Or a flying dragon kick. Or a jump-spinning crescent moon kick.

glxtrix;226961 wrote: It's a piece of cake, I actually detached my Derasa tonight from the bottom of my tank.

Then I brought it home - it's doing great, fully open and happy. Since I have a BB, I've put it on a piece of clear plastic, that way when it reattaches, I can still move it where I want it.

Thanks Lee - great clam.

Back