How to do mesh top on 92 corner tank?

kayakatl

Market
Reaction score
I am tossing up the Idea of making a canopy for the 92, however I would be happy to find a good way to make a screen top that would fit a 92 corner. Has anyone done this? If I cannot come up with a good way to do the mesh I want to build a canopy with a mesh top on hinges in such a way that getting to everything is super easy.

So far I like this layout for door set up, but my SunPod would stay on the tank and the top of the canopy would be 1/4" clear mesh to control heat issues. I want to be able to keep fish in, let heat out.
Canopy_Open2.png
alt="" />

That is a great thread, the problems come on the 92. There is one 90* angle. after that I need a way to do custom angles. I suppose I could take some solid wood or cut pie slice pieces out of 90s and make them 45s. The bow is the real problem. Screens are easy to do so long as you are using 90* angles. Since this is not a RR tank I think im leaning more toward building a canopy. This would allow me to staple the mesh over the top and come to any shape easily.

kayakATL;708430 wrote: That is a great thread, the problems come on the 92. There is one 90* angle. after that I need a way to do custom angles. I suppose I could take some solid wood or cut pie slice pieces out of 90s and make them 45s. The bow is the real problem. Screens are easy to do so long as you are using 90* angles. Since this is not a RR tank I think im leaning more toward building a canopy. This would allow me to staple the mesh over the top and come to any shape easily.

how would you get into the tank if you stapled it over the top? I could see stapling the back opening on a square tank...

Edit: also, just thought of this. What if you got a glass top for the bow part of the tank that would leave you with an open triangle where it would be much easier to make the mesh top, just a thought

cbj25;708435 wrote: how would you get into the tank if you stapled it over the top? I could see stapling the back opening on a square tank...

Edit: also, just thought of this. What if you got a glass top for the bow part of the tank that would leave you with an open triangle where it would be much easier to make the mesh top, just a thought

Take a look at the pic of someones home built canopy. See how they hinged the entire lid of the tank on one side? If I made a thin frame over the top and stapled the mesh over it so it could fold like that up against the wall I could have free access when I opened it up.

The glass could work too. Maybe Ill do a little Sketchup and post it for more ideas.

kayakATL;708436 wrote: Take a look at the pic of someones home built canopy. See how they hinged the entire lid of the tank on one side? If I made a thin frame over the top and stapled the mesh over it so it could fold like that up against the wall I could have free access when I opened it up.

The glass could work too. Maybe Ill do a little Sketchup and post it for more ideas.

gotcha. looks like it would work just fine! I look forward to seeing what you are thinking with your sketchup drawing

Trace the top onto cardboard. Build two frames out of wood. Sandwich the screen inbetween.

or you could take some 1/4 Lexan cut out to fit inside the rim. then leave like a 2" or 3" rim around the outside and get some stiffer mesh and drill and tap the Lexan and use nylon bolts and washers to hold down the mesh.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-mesh/=f5hja2">http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-mesh/=f5hja2</a>

9265T63

[IMG]http://www.mcmaster.com/param/images/wirecloth/ItemDetailMoldedPolypropylene9265t63.gif" alt="" />

In stock for $6.23 per ft.
Material Type
Plastic
Plastic Type
Polypropylene
Form
Molded Mesh
Shape
Sheets
General Opening Size
Coarse
Square/Rectangle Size