How to frag a toadstool leather

curator

Market
Reaction score
I have had a toadstool leather coral (Sarcophyton</em> sp.) for a year. It has grown larger than I'd like it to be for my tank and I'd like to reduce it in size. I've been asking and it sounds like all I need to do is slice it into a few pieces with a razor blade vertically. However, It had also become very tall and I'd like to reduce its height. May I slice it horizontally about half-way up as long as I don't cut into the cap or he base?

I'd be glad to share pieces with other members. I also have some elongated xenias that I am going to part with.

Thanks,

John

John, I have cut them off at the base and had a whole new one grow from the little bit of tissue that was left on the rock, I've cut the heads off and just super glued the head on another piece of rock, and I've cut them in the middle and both pieces lived. I think you can even cut the head off and slice it like a pizza and glue the pieces to a rock. As long as it is not a Fiji Yellow, they are pretty much indestructible.

you can cut it whichever way you like!

Like bud said, you can pizza slice the cap for frags. If you want to shorten it, you can cut the stalk and reattach it elsewhere, but the original base will start to heal and grow too.

montastrea;216472 wrote: I have a leather that also that needs to be fragged. But I'm afraid to do it. My concern is the chemicals released by the pissed frags. What is that going to do to the other corals in my 144 gal? I feel like I should put the frags in my quarantine tank but am afraid a 10 gal is too small. I don't know what to do.

have you thought about doing to fragging in another tank and then putting it back in your tank after 15 min or so.

montastrea;216472 wrote: I have a leather that also that needs to be fragged. But I'm afraid to do it. My concern is the chemicals released by the pissed frags. What is that going to do to the other corals in my 144 gal? I feel like I should put the frags in my quarantine tank but am afraid a 10 gal is too small. I don't know what to do.

The leather will only emit a slime coat which won't harm anything. Don't worry about it and go ahead and frag in the display.

Gut it up. Leathers are one of the few corals that actually dont need any of the outside tissue to heal back.

Back