How to frag an encrusting monti

jonboyb

Market
Reaction score
I have a superman encrusting monti I need to frag. However, it's on a serious chunk of rock and there's no way to take the bonecutters to it. I've seen Jin and others use a dremel and cutoff when to do this, but I've never tried. Any hints or other helpful advice. It scares me having a coral out of water long enough to do this and the heat associted with the dremel wheel. Don't want to kill one of my favorite corals:thumbs:

I would not worry about having the coral out of water too long - there is a great video on you tube taken in the south pacific that shows corals out of water during low tide for hours under a blazing sun - after seeing that, I don't worry any more and have not had any problems.

What about the heat of the dremel? Maybe cut a little and dip...so on and so forth until the job is done:D

the guy who came last year for the ARC frag meeting used a wet tile saw. that way the bit wouldn't heat up too much

Just get a diamond tip cutting wheel and get to it. No need to cut dip cut dip it should not take that long.

good luck Joe

dawgdude;265971 wrote: If the dremel is heating up the rock your not cutting it fast enough and your grinding it. :) I just cut the whole rock they are on but a dremel will work well too. Realize that they bleach somewhat after this as a result of being out of the water
I wouldn't say they bleach because of the time out of the water, more the stress of being fragged. I usually let my frags sit out of the water for at least 10 minutes after I mount them so my vortec doesn't blow them off of the plug.
Use the dremel and get them back in the tank. As long as your levels are good, they will recover quickly.

dremel it or use a tile saw. The coral will be fine; they have a slime coat for a reason! :)

I had a large frag of Monti Equituberculata. I cut it into 4 pieces with a dremel with diamond wheel...no problems. Montiporas are one of the toughest corals IME.

Another way to frag if you have the time is to place/glue a frag disc next to the monti colony and let the monti spread to the disc.
Dave

Back