How to ground a tank

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
Okay, something electrical is loose in my sump and I think I might have stopped my heart for a short amount of time.

How do you ground your tank? I remember some posts about it.

**** that was a jolt.

You can buy a grounding wire or you can make one yourself. I'm not going to put the instructions on this post but you can call me for info.

I got it now, thanks.

Still need to find out what's shorting in my sump...of course the batteries are dead in my volt meter.

LorenK;178296 wrote: How do you ground your tank?

**** that was a jolt.

Hmmmm...seems to me that you already figured out how to ground your tank. Stand in some water and stick your hand in!:eek:

loren, I just ordered a grounding terminal myself. Messin with current and water is still not failproof.

dawgdude;178322 wrote: What do you have in there? There are some usual suspects that typically leak. First I would check is the heater.

+1.

Check your Heater then next would be powerheads............. My tanks constantly has around 20-29 volts with everything running, and I have had it it as high as 67 volts in the past.

Yes, it was the heater. Half of it is completely melhted/warped.

I just got that thing about two months ago.

Something else to pay attention to is salt creep. It will conduct electrcity as well as water. Be careful.

LorenK;178434 wrote: Yes, it was the heater. Half of it is completely melhted/warped.

I just got that thing about two months ago.

What brand was it?

loren...just to put a smile on your face..do you remember when my heater malfunctioned and fried my tank? well I did contact Mars (rena) and not only did they replace the heater with a new upgraded higher wattage unbreakable heater..they sent me 3 full reef test kits and about mmm...7-8 bottles of two part and additves..most companys will def. listen to your claim.

I was hoping it wasn't a Stealth, I have about 10 of them running in the various tanks.

LorenK;178710 wrote: I will. It was a Stealth.

Loren,
Was your outlet GFCI protected?

I have one Stealth running on a planted tank. Has worked OK so far (about 1 year).
Dave

Be aware that the benefits of a grounding probe is up for debate. The idea can be related to being in a car during a lighting strike. As long as you're in the car, you're insulated from the strike (tires are rubber and thus insulate you from the ground). Same with your tank - you add a grounding rod, and then the electricity has a complete circuit, and can now flow. When you put your hand in there, you complete a circuit, and thus you feel the shock.

The problem is that it's terribly difficult to measure electricity when it's not flowing, and so I'm not sure if anyone can say for sure if there's electricity in there when you don't stick your hand or a grounding rod in there.

In any case- you can make your own decisions, but be aware that the benefits are debatable. I personally don't run a grounding wire / rod, but then again, I don't get shocked when I put my hand in the tank.

Budsreef;178758 wrote: I was hoping it wasn't a Stealth, I have about 10 of them running in the various tanks.

I hear ya. I changed over to all Stealth's after Jade had his heater malfunction....I've got a few running as well. I think I'll start looking for a ground probe!

Back