How to Help please

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
Hey there Reef Pack. So yesterday I did some maintenance on my tank not much just cleaning of my skimmer, scraping the glass all around and a water change (all while wearing my ARC tee shirt I might add). I purchased a Flipper nano and wanted to but it to use so the back portion of glass got a thorough cleaning. I am fairly satisfied with how things are looking with my reef aside from my frag rack. My Frags and rack are covered in hair algae, how do I remove it? I wanted to take a small toothbrush that I use to clean the corners of the glass on my tank to solve this issue but I wanted some reassurance before doing so. If this is not the way to go what actions can I take? Thanks in advance for helping me out

For the glass: Toothbrush should be fine, lightly. Don't go crazy on the silicone. Some folks use a magic eraser.

For the frag rack, just put the frags in the tank for a bit while you scrub all the algae off, same as a powerhead.

For the glass: Toothbrush should be fine, lightly. Don't go crazy on the silicone. Some folks use a magic eraser.

For the frag rack, just put the frags in the tank for a bit while you scrub all the algae off, same as a powerhead.
So the toothbrush is fine to use on the frags themselves?

On the frag plugs, sure. If GHA is growing on corals directly... I don't know on that one. Doesn't seem like it should be doing that.

If you have hair algae growing on a frag, watch Billy Pipes video on YouTube. He places a small glass tray on sand bed and adds a hermit crab to eat the hair algae off the frag. It does work pretty well at removing algae off the frag.

Blue legs can strip a frag of hair algae pretty quick. I typically take a small brush or tweezers to remove what I can and let the hermits do the rest. Sometimes if it's long they won't fool with it.

I have a few things that I recommend over and over again. So much so that I'm sure I sound like a broken records but blue legs for GHA is one of my go-tos. There are some folks that don't like them at all because they will attack and eat snails if they can (it's true) but I've always found that to be a worthy risk to take.

Back