How to keep the standpipe from floating out of the bulkhead fitting.

carey1465

Market
Reaction score
Exactly what the title says. How do I keep the standpipe from floating out of my bulkhead that's in my overflow box? I really don't want to permanently glue it. Should I use some silicone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It shouldn't be that loose that it falls out of the bulkhead that easily on it's own. Sounds like you need a new fitting. Silicone is always an option but it will be very annoying to get the stand pipe back out if you ever find the need to. Ideally you never want to glue or silicone the overflow plumping.

Typically there should be a nice "snug" fit between the drain pipe fitting and the bulkhead.

aXio;1100285 wrote: It shouldn't be that loose that it falls out of the bulkhead that easily on it's own. Sounds like you need a new fitting. Silicone is always an option but it will be very annoying to get the stand pipe back out if you ever find the need to. Ideally you never want to glue or silicone the overflow plumping.

Typically there should be a nice "snug" fit between the drain pipe fitting and the bulkhead.

Bought all new bulkheads for the drain and return. Its a little snug but it still finds it way back out.

carey1465;1100287 wrote: Bought all new bulkheads for the drain and return. Its a little snug but it still finds it way back out.

Is there a hole near the top (not the hole for the water) to prevent suction and release air?

SaltWaterWannabe;1100292 wrote: Is there a hole near the top (not the hole for the water) to prevent suction and release air?

Yes.

I can't imagine this ever happening in any of my setups. Maybe you need a new standpipe. It's not sized right, wrong kind of pvc, old and worn down??

Danh;1100297 wrote: I can't imagine this ever happening in any of my setups. Maybe you need a new standpipe. It's not sized right, wrong kind of pvc, old and worn down??

I picked this tank up from another member. No telling how old the standpipe is. I guess I'll buy reducer for it to see if that helps.

PVC is cheap. I'd replace the standpipe.

In all my years in this hobby I've never seen a standpipe 'float'. And they should be snug fitting into the bulkhead. PVC sinks, it's denser than water. If it's not snug it's not sized properly.

Jenn

JennM;1100300 wrote: PVC is cheap. I'd replace the standpipe.

In all my years in this hobby I've never seen a standpipe 'float'. And they should be snug fitting into the bulkhead. PVC sinks, it's denser than water. If it's not snug it's not sized properly.

Jenn

I could go ahead just build one. Might as well do it right the first time

Back