how to make live rock

As you saw most of my rock is homemade. I didn't make it but whoever did had some creative ideas.

Imagination is the key because you can make some cool shapes.

I was gonna make a piece that looked like Chrisjet but I was afraid I would scare my fish to death!

Seedless Reefer;70118 wrote: As you saw most of my rock is homemade. I didn't make it but whoever did had some creative ideas.

Imagination is the key because you can make some cool shapes.

From the looks of some of your rock, Dolly Parton's bra was used for the mold. Whomever made that rock had a bit of a fetish.

i made most of my rock and this is the web site wit the recipe the rock is great it looks nice and is very pourous.

offsite.htm

i am wanting to do this also( my dad said it was ok)

could someone take some time and post it in a step by step format. and tell me in a bullet form of what i need. thank you in advance.

Also..you need to realize that this just makes base rock. The rock still needs to be cured afterwards and then seeded to make it into LR. This process does make some great DIY rocks and your creativity is the limit but it is not a quick process to make into LR.

I use white portland cement, sand, and oyster shells. Here are some pictures of my rock. First picture is of fresh made rock, the others are pieces I made several months ago.

That's impressive! What was your curing time from base-rock to the way it looks now? And did you use Purple Up to speed the process?

Linda Lee;70495 wrote: That's impressive! What was your curing time from base-rock to the way it looks now? And did you use Purple Up to speed the process?
several months, its cheap to make but it takes patience. I say a minimum of three to four months curing jut to be able to put in a tank. Then 3-4 months curing to become live rock. Have to plan way in advance of need. I did not use purple up, it might speed up process. Usually just seed with other live rock. I have other pictures on a past DIY post.

now the last 2 pics are amazing. and it took you about 6-8 months for it to become lr. right. i think i can wait that long.

Back