How to properly hang T-5 fixture from the ceiling?

ace1204

Market
Reaction score
I have a 24" ATI powermodule, so do i need to find the studs in the ceiling to moutnt the light first? Then position tank underneath the light? Will there be studs close enough for both bolts to be in studs? Help please lol Thanks

The ceiling joist will be either 16",19.2"or 24" on center or I guess apart. They also may be running the opposite way than the pendant needs to hang. Do you have access to the top side of the ceiling?

grouper therapy;320818 wrote: The ceiling joist will be either 16",19.2"or 24" on center or I guess apart. They also may be running the opposite way than the pendant needs to hang. Do you have access to the top side of the ceiling?

No i have a stud finder though

That will help to locate and determine direction of the joist. I do not know how far your mounting holes for the cables are apart but that might determine the location of the tank. If the joist are too far apart then you can install a strip across the joist and then hang the fixture to that. It could be a piece of aluminum with hole drilled in it at the joist to run screws or bolts through and then holes drilled at the location of the cables to mount to.

Or you can hang them from the wall with a setup like this. Darren hung his on his new 150 in a similar fashion.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
321078=16072-reef1.jpg
>
321078=16072-reef1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Mine are hung without the use of studs and I have 48" fixture from ATI. If you can great if not you should be OK. I would replace their cheap plastic dry wall inserts with a better one form home depot.

Just don't pull on the fixture or let kids swing from it and you should be OK. I have hung about 5 different types of aquarium lights like this without a problem.

Cover my own *** disclaimer, hang them at you own risk I am not a construction expert like some others who have posted here this is just my experience.:)

Joe

Maybe you should show everyone a pic of what you're working with, ace, then we could help you out more. :yes:

Do ATI lights come with hanging hardware? I have a Current that I had to drill and thread it so I could put I-Bolts to hang it.

Back