How to quiet a drain line?

ptreef

Market
Reaction score
Here’s the issue with all the details. My display tank is 610g with two 1” returns and two 1.5” drains. However, the overflow boxes do not have enough room to install durso style drain plumbing. Right now my drains are simply a 1.5” pipe with a 90 degree elbow at the end. Has anybody dealt with this issue of small real estate? I’m also considering putting a small cover over the box itself, and hoping the noise should decrease when I wrap the canopy as well

Small box and install a gate valve similar to what Red Sea does.

This will in turn help you dial in the flow rate back to the sump this quieting it down.

230c3d880bcc055dab3759edf285ebed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could this be done at the end of the plumbing lines or at the top? I definitely don’t have room for that inside the overflow box

End. After they come out of your bulkhead and before the sump.

I always cut enough of a piece after the bulkhead to allow me to reuse them should something happen.

Hmmm... You may want to contact GC and see what they recommend... I'm sure they had something in mind since they build those overflows that way.

Could you post a top-view photo of your overflow box, and the bulkhead where the pipe connects? Any photos so we can see how much space there is.

I’m thinking with a little maneuvering; that you might be able to rig up your own durso overflow there.

are you sure they the 1" lines aren't also supposed to be drains? 2 full siphons on the 1" drains, partial / emergency with the 1.5" and the returns over the top of the tank.

I have 2 tanks set up like this and they are very quiet and never have an issue.

This guy does a great job of showing / explaining.

Look up a Maggie Muffler fitting that you can add on the top of your drain pipes, they don't take up much space and can quiet things quite a bit

Reactions: bzb
I would not put a valve anywhere in a drain. That seems to be asking for a lot of trouble. Maybe I am misunderstanding the solution.

Innovative Marine uses Herbie style drains, where you 'tune' the primary drain pipe using a valve.
The primary is backed up by one, or more depending on tank volume/flow, 'emergency' back up(s).
Here's their video on how it works-

are you sure they the 1" lines aren't also supposed to be drains? 2 full siphons on the 1" drains, partial / emergency with the 1.5" and the returns over the top of the tank.

I have 2 tanks set up like this and they are very quiet and never have an issue.

This guy does a great job of showing / explaining.

That’s a pretty good idea! I may look into that one day, would be pretty easy to do. However, the tank came with return plumbing and labeled for 2 drains and returns. I ordered the valves for now. Here is my overflow.

Attachments

• 01D20461-122E-464C-8B22-912AEE8FD278.jpeg
    01D20461-122E-464C-8B22-912AEE8FD278.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
Yikes. I would be scared of an overflow. If either drain pipe slows down you are going to have a flood unless you have better luck than I do.

So I did add on the valves just in case I want to dial anything or shut off for maintenance, but I also found a way to fit a 1” elbow into a tee that was 1.5x1.5x1” I believe. Going to add the caps today to see if it can quiet them down. Either way I think I’ll be okay. You already can’t hear it unless the room is silent

Attachments

• 88AB5E18-33D9-4A49-8E0B-D85B99F9FEE6.jpeg
    88AB5E18-33D9-4A49-8E0B-D85B99F9FEE6.jpeg
    762.6 KB · Views: 21
I use Herbie style and my tank is silent once dialed in. One drain is an emergency fully open drain, the other is where you put the gate valve. The drain with the gate you cut below the waterline so it will be a full siphon drain

Back