How to quiet water in a sump overflowing between baffles?

phoenix20

Market
Reaction score
So I've just filled up my brand new 120g today. Whoooo! :yay:

Water! its AALLLIVVE!

Anyways, I have 3 sections in my sump.

So, the tank drains into the left and right sections, and water overflows the 12" and 10" baffles to the middle section of the sump. Once in the middle section, the water gets pumped out by the return pump.

My problem is that the water as it overflows the 12" and 10" baffles into the middle return section are really loud. Anyone have a trick that can stop (or make a little bit more quiet) the sound of water overflowing a baffle?

What materials are reef safe to use in a sump to dissipate the sound of water falling a few inches?

Great question! I've been wondering the same thing myself. My bedroom sounds like Niagara Falls. Tagging along......and hopeful.

What about raising the water level in the return section so it does not have as far to fall.

You could also slow the return pump down some to decease the amount going threw the sump.

Joe

Foam blocks. Im not sure of the correct name but I think petsmart sells them in the filter dept.

I use foam blocks and then on my sump where the water comes in I have pvc that goesabout an inch away from the blocks and then I use filter floss to VERY loosly cover the splash that comes off of the falling water. You cant hear my tank over the microwave running in the next room.

This is the one example were bioballs are really handy. Everyone should have a bag laying around you can get just for bringing them a #1 with cheese from Wendy's. If not I'll send you a bag.

Sounds like you may have too much flow through your sump. Dial it down a bit so that the surface tension of the water helps the water flowing over the baffles "stick" to the baffles. If it's cascading over the top, I would imagine you are not getting enough dwell time on your skimmer either.
What return pump are you running on the 120?

I've got a mag7 under the 120.

I just picked up some of those foam pads and it seems to have helped somewhat. I'll try closing one of the returns down a bit to see if it helps.

Wouldn't imagine a mag7 would be too much. Hmmm...
Also, I agree with Joe above about raising the water level in the center zone so there is not as much fall. Just be sure you still have enough room in the sump to contain the water level you will gain in a power outage.

Try taking pieces of acrylic and lay them at an angle from bottom of sump to the overflows to give the overflow water a surface to run down. No bio balls and foam that way and no way to build up organics or create nitrate factory.... and now that I read Ares response, like he said......

Yeah a mag 7 on a 120 shouldn't be too much flow at all. Im running a Blue Line 55 pressure pump at 1100 gph (minus head) on a 140.

Slanted baffles would be a good idea to use but then it would really limit the room if you wanted your skimmer in sump (mine sits outside though).

I clean the sponges in mine about every 3 months or so when I notice the water level start to change between my different baffles.

sailfish;374017 wrote: What about raising the water level in the return section so it does not have as far to fall.

You could also slow the return pump down some to decease the amount going threw the sump.

Joe
Makes the most sense is there something I'm missing?

I am running a mag 12 on a 100 g - I used the pre filter ( big foam block) for the mag12 and put it on the over flow line it really muffled the sound. and it disapates any air picked up by the vent in the top of the overflow

Back