How to Relocate anemome?

ELBee

Supporting
Reaction score
I picked up a zoa rock yesterday that had a tiny rbt attached. I was offered a different rock, but i was in love with the colors on thay particular rock.

The issue is that the rbt is on the BOTTOM of the zoa rock.

What is the safest way to remove the rbt from underneath a rock? How to i attach it to a new plug safely??

I'm very new to this and did plan on getting some rbt in the future- just not yet! So my knowledge and research is very limited at the moment

The best thing you can do is just put the rock down so there is a little bit of space for the RBTA to come out from under the rock. Anemones will move themselves if they do not like the place they are. Trying to move it yourself is in my opinion the worst way to go about getting an anemone to relocate.

The best thing you can do is just put the rock down so there is a little bit of space for the RBTA to come out from under the rock. Anemones will move themselves if they do not like the place they are. Trying to move it yourself is in my opinion the worst way to go about getting an anemone to relocate.

+1 on this. Getting it to attach to a plug is highly unlikely to say the leas!

It’ll move where and when it wants to. Just set the rock so it’s not buried in the sand or smashed against another rock and it’ll come out on its own.

I have one RBTA in my tank that moves twice a day. During the day he is on the side of this big rock we have and at night he moves into the cave that is inside the big rock. It is so cool! Even anemones can have habits and personality.

They never do what you want them too lol! Only thing that I've heard of to get it to move off a rock is to kind of have a power head pointed directly at it and cross your fingers..

I’ve done this in the past several times but it’s a pain in the a$$ and you better have some serious arm endurance. But I have used a turkey baster and blown water at the base of its foot in 1 spot repeatedly. It’ll start to release it’s foot from the rock. Once part of its foot is released a gap opens up underneath it’s foot and the rock, keep basting and don’t stop or it’ll replant its foot (here come the endurance part). I’ve done it a handful of times and replanting the anemone away from corals where I wanted it and never lost one doing it. So anyways, now after your forearms are bricks you can place it where you want it, arm dangling in the tank and certainly losing all blood flow but you have to hold it there gently and long enough for it to replant its foot. Turn off all water circulation so it doesn’t blow away.

If you want to remove them the easiest way is to buy one of those really large sponges like you use for washing cars. Cut a piece of 1" PVC pipe about 8 to 10 inches long. Cut a hole in the middle of the sponge slightly smaller than the PBC pipe. Secure the sponge to the rock with the anemone with some really big rubber bands. Position the hole right above the anemone. Carefully slide the pipe into the hole.

The idea is the anemone will move towards the light and the only light is in the pipe. Be patient for a few days and when you see it is in the pipe you can pull the pipe out and lay it near where you want the anemone to be.

It’ll move where and when it wants to. Just set the rock so it’s not buried in the sand or smashed against another rock and it’ll come out on its own.
You sure were right! The little guy is hanging out on a rock toward the side of my tank now, in plain view! Ty!

Back