How to remove scratches from aquarium glass?

Dicube

Reaction score
Can anyone help me by providing information on the best way to remove light scratches from my empty aquarium? Thank you for any information you can provide!

Fill it with water, they might not be noticable
This is the best advice I have as well!

Unfortunately, aquarium scratches just aren’t removed very well. The process of buffing/removing aquarium scratches usually involves using expensive equipment (or doing by hand) to make incrementally finer and finer scratches over the affected area. After many layers, companies claim that the original scratch is completely gone and not noticeable. But in practice, the general area will lose its clarity and luster, and the millions of micro-scratches will be noticeable. It’s a bummer, but that’s my experience.

If you can find a solution that involves using a squeegee to fill in the scratch with a compound with of same physical characteristics as your glass/acrylic; I think that would be your best bet! But I don’t know of any suitable for aquariums.

Thank you so much for the information. I think I will just fill it with water and not stress over it! Again thank you for your reply.

I support starting with an already scratched tank. You may make some small new mistakes that result in tank scratches, even minor ones. And you’ll be able to learn from those mistakes so that your next tank will stay pristine for longer; while not stressing too much about the tiny scratches.

The best means for handling scratches is preventative measures. If you have something like the flipper magnet, try using the non bladed side 90% of the time and frequently enough that you dont have to use the blade side as often. When using the blade, keep your eye on it for any grains of sand getting caught between blade and glass. This is usually the culprit.

Back