how to silence?

thatclownfish

Reaction score
anybody got any hits/tricks to silence the various humming/buzzing noises associated with all the equipment?

one way is to make sure that none of your pumps are in direct contact with another hard surface. this means to make sure that they arent touching the sides of your sump but it also means that if you dont have any rubber feet than use something between them. bulk reef supply recommends silicone pot holders. ive got some in the kitchen and they are very soft and flexible so they would be easy to wrap around your pump if need be and will easily absorb excess vibration.

it depends on where the rattling comes from. if the vibration is due to things touching each other, then you can get the silencer/mat that picoreefguy is referring to. home depot and lowes have them as well. but if the rattling is coming from the motor, then you're out of luck.

Put pumps on mouse pads (or any sheet of neoprene)
Use flex PVC or vinyl hose for pump connections(hard pipe vibrates with the pump)
Keep pumps clean(soak in vinegar overnight) Being out of balance and buildups make noise.
Lube bearings
Use sponges or rock where water is falling to reduce the splashing sounds.
Get pipe insulation to wrap drain pipes to reduce water noise.

and the best thing to do to reduce noise is mount all the equipment in a different room.

Be careful with mouse pads - somebody here.. Trey - I forget his screen name - wiped out his tank with a mouse pad that had some kind of something on it that poisoned his tank.

Best to use a pump pad or something designed for use in an aquarium. If it costs a buck or two more, isn't that worth the peace of mind in knowing it's safe?

All of Ender's suggestions are spot-on. Well maintained and well installed equipment will run as quietly as it can.

Jenn

I've used the foam kneeling pads for gardening under my skimmer. Its about 1" thick and floats so it can be tricky to use under water. I picked up some of the pads from BRS and they work great too.

I saw someone on another forum use silicone pot holders like these...

http://amzn.com/B015TL2LBK">http://amzn.com/B015TL2LBK</a>

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not sure this answers the exact question.... but the "big stores" sell a shelf liner for closet shelves (the white metal ones you usually install) that is a very dense (about an 1/8 inch thick) foam liner for cheap (5 or 6 feet (by one foot) is just a few bucks). It can be cut into 1 inch strips to go under tanks or anything. I put it under every tank I set up. I'm not sure it is the cure all, but I don't have leaks and everything seems to stay quiet....

Just my $.02 worth,

johnny

Back