How to tell if macro algae is growing?

jc_k

Market
Reaction score
So I bought some macro alge about 3 weeks ago but it seems to be turning green. When I put it in my tank it was a very dark red. I believe it's red gracilaria but I'm not 100% sure. I looked up why it might be turning green and I read that it can either be dying or getting to much light. Thought I might get some second opinions on here. It's in a hob refuge and its low flow. It's seemed to have grown a little and its been green for a couple weeks. Thanks!

Jacob

Looks a bit bleached out to me...

unless you just LOVE a fuge you might even consider nixing it :) sure it has SOME nutrient export, but.....

well thats just my 2 cents from this noob

I just really like macro algae so I got some. I might just set up a little tank and try to see if it will grow better under some lower lighting. Thanks :)

certain macros will do better than others in our tanks. I know every time i tried to grow chaeto, it would melt away and die on me. Other macros did fine or poorly.
If you really like the red color i would take a stab at the dragon's breath. That thing thrived in my tank.

As far as your gracilaria goes. It looks like it is bleaching to too much light. The shaded areas still have some pinkish orange to it. However i am doubtful that is all of the problem.

good luck and let us know how it goed

I noticed color lost on microalgae if im running gfo source which competes with micro algae for nutrients. Im not sure what type of light you are running but they do like low lights. I have 30 gallon display refugium with 5 different type of microalgae and mangroves. Im using led but they are dialed down pretty low.
Come check it out. Bring some of yours and i give you some dragon breath and others if you like.
Also be aware they will also need high magnesium and adequate flows.

It took me about 9 months to finally get it to grow. I played around with flow rate, tumbling, using a Reefbreeder (micro algae red/blue spectrum led) just about any way you could think of. Every time it melted. Then one day it just started growing. I'm pretty sure it just took a combination of the above and having enough nutrients in my system to feed it.

Back