How to touch up a stained stand?

db366

Reaction score
Just bought a new tank and it needs some TLC. Can I color match the stain or am I going to need to get in touch with Oceanic to see if they can send me some?

Google wood finishers supply, Should be one on your side of town. Take a door to them they can usually help you.

What's special about the color it is now? Can you change it a bit?

I'd look for a product called Watco Danish Wood Oil Stain. Wipe it all over the stand with an old rag, and the entire tone of the stand will change in appearance, but slightly more color will be picked up in the damaged areas. Follow directions on how to dispose of the old rag you used......... It (the old rag) can spontaneously combust.......

I used this product to refinish my hardwood floors, it was great

I'll have to take a picture of the stand. It has been in a garage for a year or so, so it's dulled out towards the bottom and has some small nicks and dings. Over all it really just needs wiped down but there are a couple areas that will require some touching up.

On second though....... Gel Stain could perk up the finish as well, and that whole spontaneous combustion thing just goes away..... I got worried after I posted the above comment, and if anything happened, I'd feel guilty.. People don't think that spontaneous combustion can happen like that, but I saw it with my own eyes... A pile of rags just went poof in front of me (actually, it was quite silent, which in a way is much worse.... fortunately, I had just taken them outside.)

Yeah..... Gel Stain is the way I'd go!

:)

If it is an oceanic stand it probably has a lacquer base finish which may not react well with some of the stains. Old English furniture polish may accomplish what you are after.

grouper therapy;731584 wrote: If it is an oceanic stand it probably has a lacquer base finish which may not react well with some of the stains. Old English furniture polish may accomplish what you are after.

+1 But first you may want to wipe the stand down with some mineral spirits to remove anything on the surface. You can use a stain stick or tinted putty to fill in the scratches or other areas. You can adjust the tint of the putty darker or lighter by mixing light and dark colors, until you find a match. After you match your filler you can reseal with a good coat of poly (Polyurethane). You should be able to find the Stain Stick or tinted putty at any Lowes or Home Depot or local Paint Store.

IMG_2623.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_2622.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_2620.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_2619.jpg
alt="" />

There is the damage.

We sanded the stand we got like crazy.. took it back down to natural wood. It's starting to stain very nicely.

For that kind of damage I would use a thick gel paint stripper. Brush the stripper on and then just wait let it do the work. Remove when ready and then you can sand it down. By then it should be back to natural wood and ready to receive any color stain you have available. That looks like Mahagony wood with Cherry Stain. After that a couple of thick coats of Poly and you will be good as new.

Tangaray;736490 wrote: For that kind of damage I would use a thick gel paint stripper. Brush the stripper on and then just wait let it do the work. Remove when ready and then you can sand it down. By then it should be back to natural wood and ready to receive any color stain you have available. That looks like Mahagony wood with Cherry Stain. After that a couple of thick coats of Poly and you will be good as new.
It is oak. Scroll up a little higher to the top photos. The lower ones don't show it as well.

Back