How???

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
Few times I’m in awe of the things I find about this hobby today is another incident. Back in early November my orange tip green bubble tip anemone (1st pic) split and I put the mom and baby in a shower-basket/caddy (the one with the suction cups). Few mornings later right when i was getting ready for work and I notice that my tank has a creamy color to it despite no light was on at the time. I subsequently discovered that the caddy had fallen down and the nems were gone. Some of you know where this is going....Caddy gave out... nems walked, the baby walked/floated into the wave maker and decided that it wants to be shredded.

Luckily the mama was unharmed and I just left it under the rock that it was attached to and ran carbon for a few days. Fast forward today my overflow was making notice (totally unrelated to this discovery) and lo and he hold, there’s a gbta on the bottom of the overflow box. My overflow is the traditional overflow box where the holes for the bulkheads are drilled at the bottom of the tank. To prevent alaegr growth, I have a piece of the pink foam insulation (the ones they use for shipping and ESD protection for electronics)on top of the overflow box. So this whole time (3+months) it survived with almost no light. The only source of light is probably a few hrs of day light from my window.

I can only speculate that maybe only a part of the baby gbta got shredded while the rest floated down into the overflow box via the weir.

Now I need to figure out how to dig this guy out with all the piping 24 inches deep...

Attachments

• 84945E6B-AFFB-4573-A722-A3AB810035F6.jpeg
    84945E6B-AFFB-4573-A722-A3AB810035F6.jpeg
    813.3 KB · Views: 56
  • FB1BE54E-CBC5-4EF5-8647-9B9A9E359B38.jpeg
    FB1BE54E-CBC5-4EF5-8647-9B9A9E359B38.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Few times I’m in awe of the things I find about this hobby today is another incident. Back in early November my orange tip green bubble tip anemone (1st pic) split and I put the mom and baby in a shower-basket/caddy (the one with the suction cups). Few mornings later right when i was getting ready for work and I notice that my tank has a creamy color to it despite no light was on at the time. I subsequently discovered that the caddy had fallen down and the nems were gone. Some of you know where this is going....Caddy gave out... nems walked, the baby walked/floated into the wave maker and decided that it wants to be shredded.

Luckily the mama was unharmed and I just left it under the rock that it was attached to and ran carbon for a few days. Fast forward today my overflow was making notice (totally unrelated to this discovery) and lo and he hold, there’s a gbta on the bottom of the overflow box. My overflow is the traditional overflow box where the holes for the bulkheads are drilled at the bottom of the tank. To prevent alaegr growth, I have a piece of the pink foam insulation (the ones they use for shipping and ESD protection for electronics)on top of the overflow box. So this whole time (3+months) it survived with almost no light. The only source of light is probably a few hrs of day light from my window.

I can only speculate that maybe only a part of the baby gbta got shredded while the rest floated down into the overflow box via the weir.

Now I need to figure out how to dig this guy out with all the piping 24 inches deep...
So is that the baby down in the sump?

It’s in the overflow box
Sorry that's what I meant. But it's the baby you thought had gotten shredded? Wonder why it didn't climb back out? Sorry that may seem like a dumb question but I'm new to the corals/nems

Now this is one for the books! Never seen that before. Following to see the outcome. Hopefully, someone will have a solution that won't require any extreme operations!:eek:

I’m not surprised. I’ve said it a hundred times, and I’ll say it a hundred more: most of these animals don’t need the crazy amounts of light we give them (nor do they need crazy nutrients/nitrates). I’m very happy it survived for you.

Can you give us details about your setup, and photos? We have no idea what you’re working with: size of tank, height of tank, how it is plumbed, do you have a ladder

Ive had similar issues to this many times over. It’s never fun, and rarely a quick and easy task to get them out of the overflow.

One option is just to remove any canopy, take a ladder to the nearest corner that you’re able, roll up your sleeves, and remove it by hand. This is probably the easiest, fastest, and most straightforward; but only if you have experience handling BTAs by hand.

Another trick, you could take a piece of pvc, and place it over him. This will cut his light and flow source, and encourage him to move. After minutes up to a day or so, he will likely be attached to the inside of the pvc, making him easier to remove. Note: choosing the right size of pvc is important here. Obviously skinny enough to fit in the overflow, but also skinny enough that he would consider it a ‘tight fit’ based on the nems size. You also want it to be long enough that he won’t be able to stretch the entire length, but only just so. If you make it too long, it could cut flow and oxygen too much.

Do you have a light that is small enought to put over the overflow to coax him up or first leave the foam off the over flow and see if there's enought light for him to come up to the light. Good luck, I found one in my filter sock that made it.

Hooray for the BTA. Life always finds a way...
Try using an extra long pair of chopsticks to get it out.

I would advise against this. BTAs don’t have a particularly strong foothold, but it’s strong enough that if care is not taken, it could kill him.
What about taking a piece of rock rubble and partially covering it with that? It should attach to the rock and then be able to be pulled out with a large tweezers or forceps.

This or the PVC is probably the best way I think. The other options may cause it to let loose and free float. If you're not around when that happens the likelihood of it getting sucked down the drain pipe is pretty high.

so today or tomorrow, i'm going to remove the standpipe. part of planing from the outset is that i may need to remove the pipes for whatever may arise. these piples were slip-inserted into the bulkhead so i should not have much trouble getting in but surely it's going to be uncomfortable and awkward. furthermore, i have shut off valves throughout my plumbing and therefore the nem should not have a chance of getting sucked in.

so today or tomorrow, i'm going to remove the standpipe. part of planing from the outset is that i may need to remove the pipes for whatever may arise. these piples were slip-inserted into the bulkhead so i should not have much trouble getting in but surely it's going to be uncomfortable and awkward. furthermore, i have shut off valves throughout my plumbing and therefore the nem should not have a chance of getting sucked in.
With the stand pipes out of the way you should be able to get it with a small plastic scraper. Good luck!!!

Edit: I apparently didn’t read clearly. Lol

But if you are going to do this approach, I recommend 1) remove a few gallons of water from your tank and disable your return pump. 2) at least partially drain your overflow before removing your standpipe. 3) use a bucket or funnel to catch the several gallons of water that could flow out once you do so. 4) Plan for this to take over an hour, and don’t do it if you have any looming obligations, 5) Have a backup... because if he is hanging halfway out your overflow but not detaching, you will have severely limited options And won’t be able to simply put the pipe back in and refill.

Ah, I didn’t see you mention the plastic scraper and shutoff valve when I typed this response. That is a much better approach. That said, i still wouldn’t advise it... but I think you have a fighting chance.

Last edited:
Back