HQI ballasting vs socket type question

wbrown

Market
Reaction score
I have a fixture I paid retail plus for back when I first started. One of the 250W ballasts is dead now. Do the 150W and 250W HQI/ DE lamps share the same base?
250W x2 produces more heat than I can cope with without a chiller, not to mention the cost to run it.
If the bases are the same, would it be cost effective to down-grade the lamps and ballasts to 150W?
As it stands now, I need a ballast and 2 new lamps either way, just fishing for opinions. I've seen some dual 150W electronic ballasts cheaper than a 250W magnetic.

I am assuming the fixture is double end. If it is then yes you can use a 150 w ballast to drive the bulb, however only a few fixture that I have see where you can adjust the double ends to compensate for the smaller 150w bulb. You might be better off buying another ballast. If you are interested I have a dual electronic 250w ballast that is reasonably lower than a brand new one for sale.

wbrown;712919 wrote: I have a fixture I paid retail plus for back when I first started. One of the 250W ballasts is dead now. Do the 150W and 250W HQI/ DE lamps share the same base?
250W x2 produces more heat than I can cope with without a chiller, not to mention the cost to run it.
If the bases are the same, would it be cost effective to down-grade the lamps and ballasts to 150W?
As it stands now, I need a ballast and 2 new lamps either way, just fishing for opinions. I've seen some dual 150W electronic ballasts cheaper than a 250W magnetic.

No.

Edit: The 250 and 400 share the same base though.

Jaycen B.;713141 wrote: No.

Edit: The 250 and 400 share the same base though.

+1

the 150 bulbs are smaller and have a different style bulb.

Cool, thanks!
I scored a second hand ballast and have lamps on order.

Back