HVLP Finish Sprayers

rededge2k1

Supporting
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with HVLP sprayers? If so, can somone recommend the best (under $800) available, particularly for spraying waterborne primer & paint?

Based on the rave reviews buyers have been giving it, I bought the Rockler HVLP system this past weekend since it was on sale for $99. It's crap (motor burned out after 20min) and is going back to the store. It's probably fine for the casual user with thin oil based sealers....but not for what I need it to do. Lesson learned with cheap tools (again).

Dustin

Titan CAP 105 or maybe a Graco....both ive used and both i like.....but im pretty sure the Titan is a bit more than 800$....could get a lower end model of either for less than 800$ though

RedEDGE2k1;524238 wrote: Turbine yo

Sorry Dustin Never used a turbine over 10 minutes. In thre pressure conversion guns I like the Kremlin. I know some cabinet shops that really liked the Accuspray turbine type.

grouper therapy;524246 wrote: Sorry Dustin Never used a turbine over 10 minutes. In thre pressure conversion guns I like the Kremlin. I know some cabinet shops that really liked the Accuspray turbine type.

Any reason why not? Just a compressor kinda guy?

I prefer HVLP because I have a small "workshop," actually just a 2-car garage, and I dig the almost non-existant overspray.

RedEDGE2k1;524251 said:
Any reason why not? Just a compressor kinda guy?

I prefer HVLP because I have a small "workshop," actually just a 2-car garage, and I dig the almost non-existant overspray.[/QUOTE

I've been using pressure type guns for 30 yrs so when the so called hvlp conversion guns come out it was such a great improvement over the hvhp that I settled on them. Just never had enough spray time to learn the turbines. Probably due to ignorance on my part but I could never get as fine of finish with a turbine as I could with a conversion. I spray mainly solvent based undercoats and topcoats . I think turbines are definitely the way to go if someone is starting up a new setup !!

grouper therapy wrote:
I've been using pressure type guns for 30 yrs so when the so called hvlp conversion guns come out it was such a great improvement over the hvhp that I settled on them.

Grouper,

An update, a guy at work let me borrow his IR 390G conversion gun & 19g compressor to try out. I used the combo to spray two coats of primer and a half dozen (thin) coats of interior latex on a wine tower I built for my wife. I was amazed at how little overspray this setup produced, all I had to do was put down a 9x13 sheet of plastic on the garage floor and spray on top of that, no need to wrap the whole friggin garage in plastic like I was afraid I would need to do.

I'll never pick up a paint brush again!

I bought a larger compressor tonight and will start shopping for a good HVLP conversion gun. Thanks for the head's up on these!

Dustin

Hey guys....Has anybody looked into the Fuji mini-mite series sprayers? These are in the $500-$600 range and appears to be really good.....

John

They're a little loud in my opinion, which goes for any turbine system...I don't think I could stand to use one in my 2-car garage slash workshop for very long. The Fuji Q3/Q4 Pro series have noise reducing features, but they're still comparable to a vacuum cleaner. A brand new Fuji Q4 Pro setup was on Craigslist recenetly for $650, and came with all kinds of accys....might want to check there.

Dustin

i do refinishing for a living and i use and love my capspray 8100 cs
if you get a chance look them up
you can find deals on them like 700 includes turbine 2 guns
i would never use anything else

Back