Hydnophora keeps getting cyanobacteria on the tips

tbub1221

Reaction score
Hey guys back at the end of the year I was given a blue hydnophora from a friend who is also a member here , the reason was it was slowly but surely stn and quit fluffing up and making polyp extension so I took it home and its since on the rebound back inflating and has begun showing polyps again but where the the flesh recessed at the tips I keep getting thick cyano , I've played with light and flow and cant make it quit , I'm cleaning it once a week before its back .
This is the only cyanobacteria in the tank , idk why any suggestions ?
It's pretty thick and requires a toothbrush to get it all off
I've put superglue on a sps that was stung to prevent gha growth but idk if thats really going to be helpful here.
Fwiw I have a small frag of it also that I was given the week before I got the colony with the same exposed bone and it also gets cyano only at the tip so I'm confident its something unique to this coral
Could it be dead flesh inside the bone causing the.bloom ?
Would u cut it off ?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1012988=59184-2015-02-06 15.25.28.jpg
>
1012988=59184-2015-02-06 15.25.28.jpg
class="gc-images" title="2015-02-06 15.25.28.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I would assume it's dead at the tip... personally I would cut off the tip, but that doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do. :D

tonymission;1013095 wrote: I would assume it's dead at the tip... personally I would cut off the tip, but that doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do. :D
Cool thanks for the input , that's my thoughts as well I guess this coming week I'll just cut it up and salvage what looks best.
I want to give away a few small pieces for an insurance grow out so this is a good opportunity to make them

I'm with tony on this one. Ime cyano on coral=dead coral

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would cut away all the dead tips before algae starts to grow. Wish you the best with it! Holley:D

Back