Hydor deflector

seedless reefer

Market
Reaction score
I was looking at using a hydor deflector.

When I read about it it said 360 degree rotation. Is the rotation a true 360?
If so wouldnt it be spraying the ceiling?

Educate me on this thing. Yes I already know they tend to stick.

It spins around 360 degrees along your tank wall. You would have to get a pretty powerful pump for it to hit the ceiling. My return is roughly an inch from my water line and its hooked up to a rio 1700, which is somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500gph, can't remember. The thing works great and pushes a gentle flow all around the aquarium, and it doesnt not spray over the water line. The only time it sticks for me is when a turbo snail will get on it and wedges itself between the hydor and the wall.

<span style="color: black;">No. It spins 360 degree if you follow the rules of Euclidian Geometry, but when real 360 3D Einsteinium geometry is applied, it really shoots the water in a 160 degree angle while rotating 360 along the horizontal axis. So the water coming out will look like this </span>
<span style="color: black;">Pump<<<<<<< and the water will never go straight.</span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">It&#8217;s basically a V shaped output, and the pump rotates the water on that V axis. </span></span>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">300GPH would send the head flying out of the pump, I say a absolute max of 300GPH if you put some glue on it.</span></span>

I've got two hooked up and they work great. Very cheap wave maker. It does reduce the output of the device it is installed on though. So, take that into consideration.

well i was wrong i have a rio 1400 hooked directly to it, forgot I took out the 1700 a while back. You can run more than 300 gph on it, the 1400 is rated at 420 and mine stays on just fine. If you use the proper fitting, which there are several included, it will stay on. The box does recommend only 310gph max, but it works just as well and I have more flow with pushing 420gph.

Good one, maybe you got the top of the line awesome blossom hydor that they made special. My maxijet 1200 sends the hydor flying out in less than 1 hour.

I guess the fitting for them are somewhat different, and some fits tighter than others. What does the max flow say on the back of the box? I think you should take that into consideration since they're the manufacturer-isn't it 310gph?

louis;76024 wrote: well explain why my rio 1700 stays on???

I hear ya. My rio puts out about 300 gph and is no where near coming off. not even remotely close

yea i edited my message, but i have hooked my old 1700 and it never came off. I forgot i took out my 1700 due to heat issues. but seriously the thing works fine with higher power pumps, though it will knock down the flow rate a bit.

I've got one that occasionally sticks- free of charge to anyone who wants it.

well maybe you need to fix your fitting if a maxijet is taking it off. seriously ouling, I have never had an issue with it coming off.

wbholwell;76031 wrote: I've got one that occasionally sticks- free of charge to anyone who wants it.

If you're coming to the meeting, Loren (Seedless Reefer) would love to have it.

Thanks!

~Linda

I duno, the coming off part is one thing, then there is the cleaning part that bothers me, and it causes mad sandstorm if you locate this thing a bit too low where it hits the sand. The unidirectional flow isn't my style, I swear by the Hydor Koralia tho.

yea i agree, the cleaning part sucks. But i do love the fact that its cheap and moves the water around quite well. i think its a great tool for small aquariums as long as its positioned correctly, which isn't always easy especially if its a manufactured tank with returns already installed. yes the koralia is a work of art.

Maxijet 900 is max for these.

If you want one, I have one lying around. Yours for free.
I loved it in my BioCube 8.

I have two hooked up to two of my 6 outputs on my CL. They can handle 300GPH... After about 6 months mine stick from time to time. I do not know why. It could be that the snails think they are a merry-go-round, or maybe the coralline algae all over them, but it just takes a *bump* to get them going again. Like Kirk said up there, be prepared for drastically reduced flow out of your pump though.

Linda Lee;76035 wrote: If you're coming to the meeting, Loren (Seedless Reefer) would love to have it.

Thanks!

~Linda

I'm going to try to make it- if I come I'll bring it w/ me.

Back