Hydrogen peroxide

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
I'm trying to fight off dinoflagellates.
I've done a 3 day blackout 2x, and there is still enough so that it comes back.

What about the hydrogen peroxide. Someone suggested it in another thread, and I've heard about it before on other forums, but I don't know anyone who has personally done it.

I seem to see 1ml/ 10 gallons once a day.
What kind of effect would this have on my corals?

Something I should try? Stay away from?
Advise is appreciated.
It's just something I haven't messed w before.
Thanks
B

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I used it on bryopsis and it worked wonders. Never came back. I drained the tank and poured directly on algae though. I think it's worth a try. Just do slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MvM;1082084 wrote: I used it on bryopsis and it worked wonders. Never came back. I drained the tank and poured directly on algae though. I think it's worth a try. Just do slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't be draining any tanks haha

I am dosing peroxide at a rate of 20ml x 10 times per day in my 100g. It has slowed their growth but they are resilient little SOBs. I'm going to up it to 30ml per does at the end of the month if there is no improvement. This is a game of patience.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I dosed 30 ml x 18 for 30 days (180g) with a couple 4 day blackout sessions. No effect on corals. I think it cured the dyno but not sure that's what I really had. Whatever it was, it's gone.

I used peroxide for about a week. I dosed at 1ml per 10 gallons. I followed with a blackout for two days and this seemed to work. My coral would definitely react right after I put the peroxide in, but everything made it through.

elFloyd;1082101 wrote: I dosed 30 ml x 18 for 30 days (180g) with a couple 4 day blackout sessions. No effect on corals. I think it cured the dyno but not sure that's what I really had. Whatever it was, it's gone.

Whooa!!! Messed that up... 3 ml X 18 (54 ml) each day for 30 days (180 g tank).

I resorted to Carbon Dosing (Vodka) to lower my nutrient levels very low along with water changes. I used a siphon from the display tank to the sump with a filter bag on the end and sucked up as much as I could. Combine these two methods and my Dino outbreak slowly disappeared over about two months.

I used peroxide in combination with a couple blackouts over a couple months.

I used 20mL x 2 daily for four days(yes, 40 mL per day) on a ~130g total system volume. During this time I also did a complete blackout. I repeated after approximately 28 days. After the fourth day I ramped up lights to 50% for two days before I went back to full intensity. Not a single loss on lps, sps, softies, or fish. The thread I read up on this method suggested 3-4 months, but two seemed sufficient for me.

During each blackout, I did one 30g water change - I added 10 mL of peroxide to the WC water as well. Skimmer was also run. Don't forget to blackout your sump! My macros exploded in growth, I assume from eating the nutrients the dino had been consuming previously.

Umm you arnt actually supposed to just dose the tank with it unless your issue is dyno's.

You are supposed to use the recommended amount and apply it directly to the algea covered areas. The 1ml/10g is the max amount your supposed to use at a time. Just dosing the water wont do much of anything.

That said, I have done 50% salt water and 50% peroxide(3% stuff) and left rocks in there for 5-15 min. Zoas and other softies didnt care at all. Most LPS was very mad after a 15 min dip. SPS cant take more than 5 min max. I removed every rock in the tank, scrubbed off as much algea as I could in a bucket, then rinsed in another, then dipped in the peroxide mix, then rinsed again and put back. After that I did a 3 day black out. Worked amazingly well.

EnderG60;1082588 wrote: Umm you arnt actually supposed to just dose the tank with it unless your issue is dyno's.

You are supposed to use the recommended amount and apply it directly to the algea covered areas. The 1ml/10g is the max amount your supposed to use at a time. Just dosing the water wont do much of anything.

That said, I have done 50% salt water and 50% peroxide(3% stuff) and left rocks in there for 5-15 min. Zoas and other softies didnt care at all. Most LPS was very mad after a 15 min dip. SPS cant take more than 5 min max. I removed every rock in the tank, scrubbed off as much algea as I could in a bucket, then rinsed in another, then dipped in the peroxide mix, then rinsed again and put back. After that I did a 3 day black out. Worked amazingly well.

thank you,
my issue is dinoflagellates.

As an update tomorrow will be the 5th day.
I have been dosing 8ml on ~100 g.
I DO still have some that pops on the sand bed, however the rocks and frag plugs/ rack is a LOT cleaner. I also scrubbed the dinoflagellates off of the overflow and they haven't returned.
In addition I am reducing the photo period and vacuuming the sand bed a few times a week through a filter sock.

I also have over 50 SPS species in the tank, and so far none of them have shown any adverse affects.

I'm proceeding with a LOT of observation and caution.

SnowManSnow;1082629 wrote: I'm proceeding with a LOT of observation and caution.

Eh, I through observation and caution out the window for reckless abandon when it killed most of my coral and made (by proxy) my Achilles Tang jump.

Back